GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is happening to my fog lights?

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
no. we arent. My car sits outside daily in the sun for the past 3+ years and i have no hazzing or yellowing of my headlights/fogs.

Yea you're lucky, when I moved here to Florida my truck headlights started hazing, clouding, and peeling within a year. The sun down here is no joke.

What about something like http://a.co/4xYEOBY

or: http://a.co/3u9RmrG

Ive been trying to protect my GTI fogs and headlights from doing this down here too.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Here are pics. In this headlight pic the top right is a glare from that special Florida Sun.

and fog which is similarly scratched up(to yours) and a little dirty due to rain/wet roads but not bad.

Car is parked outside in the sun all day at work from 8am-5pm and sits outside in the driveway with partial/direct sunlight the rest of the time.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Its a 2011 and ive owned it since 2013. so its had almost direct Florida sunlight for at least 4 years since i owned it.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Its a 2011 and ive owned it since 2013. so its had almost direct Florida sunlight for at least 4 years since i owned it.

Want to trade fog light housings? Lol

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
i mean your new housings are just gonna get chipped up too, its a side effect of your environment/road conditions. Is it even noticeable from 5 feet away if you arent focusing on looking at the chips?

I wouldnt put laminx on it there are people and threads on here where laminx has caused cracking of the entire housing due to excess heat buildup, granted those were on the headlights iirc.

It is noticeable at night with the fogs on. It’s like there are a bunch of little bright yellow specs on my fog lights. Guess I’ll order some new housings when it gets bad enough... is there any way to replace the housings without pulling the bumper off?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
im not sure about pulling the bumper or not. You may be able to remove the wheel liner and wheel and get it all from behind. Ive never changed them before.

I went with a white looking bulb instead of the yellow so maybe its more noticeable with yellow light over white.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
It’s normal for the housing to be warm to the touch after theyve been on for a while right? My drive home is about 15 minutes and they’re warm to the back of my hand when I get home but not to the point I have to move my hand off.

I’m hoping heat isn’t my issue if I’m going to replace the housings