GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem starting- "ESP Error"?

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Dead battery - 100%

charge it overnight or get a new one if this one is old

Thank you all.:thumbsup:

First car with this much gadgetry so it was weird that headlights flashed and dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Is it normal for a battery to die with only 40k miles on it?

Very lucky I was right across the street from a place I could get a new battery. Don't know about the brand Walmart carries, but they were open and close. Jump started and seems okay.

Any idea why the steering wheel symbol, TPMS light and the ESP light would stay on for about a block after install?

Last edited:

valj

Ready to race!
I've read about OEM batteries failing on practically new cars. I guess it could happen.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Vdubs and them electrical gremlins I tell ya!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I have a 11' and never seen the esp error I have had the car start and turn off immediately but it starts back up.

Also to the guy wondering about driving through a puddle. I was forced to drive through 2-3inches of standing water for about a quarter mile. Only thing that happened to me was my hazards came on and turned off on there own for 15 minutes and i have a quarter inch of water in my fogs but everything's working 100%

*Edit* I had my VW battery for about 4 months before it died. I replaced it with a Advanced battery and never had a issue since

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

First car with this much gadgetry so it was weird that headlights flashed and dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Is it normal for a battery to die with only 40k miles on it?

Very lucky I was right across the street from a place I could get a new battery. Don't know about the brand Walmart carries, but they were open and close. Jump started and seems okay.

Any idea why the steering wheel symbol, TPMS light and the ESP light would stay on for about a block after install?

My battery died at around 43k miles. I replaced with a Autogaurd (whatever the advanced/discount auto style battery is) and havent had a issue since. Granted im only at 50k miles but yeah.

My buddy has a 2010 gti and he has changed his battery 3 times(he keeps buying VW cause he is a dumb ass) he is only at 80k miles

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!

40k seems to be the going life for any car I've owned since 2004 on. Is it just me or did cars used to come with better batteries from the factory?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
40k seems to be the going life for any car I've owned since 2004 on. Is it just me or did cars used to come with better batteries from the factory?

I traded my SRT4 in at 55k and it was still on it's original battery.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Old thread bump...

This just happened to me this morning. Go out into my garage, car has been sitting all night. Start it and it immediately dies with "ESP Error" up on display. My UltraGauge threw I believe a V0002 error code. Car started second try and ran well on the way to work. Nice to know that it sounds like it was just a fluke.

Krog29

Ready to race!
Had this pop up today. Turned car off waitied a few seconds and it started back up again. The shop that did my tune said sometimes the battery in the key faults the system. Will replace the battery in the key also replace the car battery soon. At 40k right now.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
When my car was doing this it was a year and a half old.

zrickety

The Fixer
Have you made coding changes? Scan with vagcom/vcds? Maybe the sensor is bad.

Tonybaloney

This happened to me too. I read the codes at a shop and they're similar ones that were posted before. I changed my battery already and that didn't help. There is one time that the car didn't let me shift with "p" flashing. Right now I just jade the CEL/catalytic converter light on but have seen the esp error message and TCS light so far. No ECP light (yet). I'm brining my car on Monday. How did others fix this issue? My car is still under the 5-year / 60k warranty so I'm wondering if it'll be fixed under that.

Tonybaloney

dealer inspected the car and said nothing is wrong with it. seems like everyone is getting the same answer from them. anyone else actually had parts replaced and problem going away permanently?

zrickety

The Fixer
The ESP sensor is part of the abs pump/module, the 09 cars have a similar issue so maybe that's it.