GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI DSG intermittent shutters at cruse and light load

Doommachine_

I noticed very small shutters a few months ago but recently they have gotten worse. Mostly happen at highway speed cruising the car will shutter for a second or two here and there. Spooked my wife tonight when she was driving on the highway. car has 70k miles on it DSG 6 speed auto. it does not really feel like a miss but could be. I am going to put in R8 coils and check the plugs this weekend as I had a coil pack go out a few weeks ago and replaced it. I also replaced the intercooler outlet map sensor recently as I had a P0238 code but the replacement sensor did not fix the code despite the old one obviously missing the sensor element wires.

It is more than a single hiccup. its like it shutters 3-5 times over a second or two. I feel as though it might have something to do with the DSG pre-selecting gears but as it happens mostly at highway cruise I am not sure.

Any wisdom would be great

Car has intake and AP stage 1 map but those were on for a while before this issue came about. I do feel it has maybe been worse or maybe I have just noticed it more since the coil went out a couple weeks ago. the car does not have any additional codes to the P0238 it has had for months

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Did you check the wiring to the sensor also?
And is the CEL on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
And check that the new sensor was plugged back in fully as they can feel like it’s all the way on but actually needs a further push to fully seat it!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Your problem is with the G31 sensor or related wiring for sure, you say you weren’t concerned by a CEL but failed to say wether it is on or not! If it is on that should be your concern as it is directly related to your issue and once the problem that is causing the CEL is fixed it will stop the “shutter” or shudder or whatever your getting.

Doommachine_

so a G31 sensor will in fact cause that issue? I am convinced that its a transmission issue. I downshifted and accelerated while it was happening today and I could see the RPM's waving back and forth between 5-6k rpm's making me really think that its related to the control of the transmission.

the CEL is on. But was on due to this sensor issue long before this started.

Last edited:

Doommachine_

I ordered a replacement connector and pigtail. in the mean time I may just disconnect the sensor or re install the old one. The new one made it worse I feel