GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Steering Noise

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
Recently, I've been noticing a noise when I back into a parking spot. I'm guessing it's coming from the power steering pump. I try to avoid turning the wheel to a full lock, but when I back into a spot, I turn it to nearly a full lock (1-3 inches away) or I turn it to a full lock and then back off a few inches. It's not a squeal, but it's more of a high-pitched grind. I had this on my Civic, but that was just normal to the car. I'm not sure whether this is something normal that I've never noticed on the GTI, or if I need fluid, or if the pump is starting to go. I don't notice the noise any other time, and I don't have any warning lights on the dash. The car is a 2012 GTI DSG.

Thanks!

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
These cars have electric power steering, there's no pump or fluid.

As for the noise, it's hard to help without actually hearing it.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I think I know what you are talking about. I always figured it was the suspension sound at full lock.
I only hear it when full lock. Soon as you back off full lock some, it goes away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Full lock is still hard on the motor and control unit, but the system is smart enough to dial back the assistance to protect the components.