GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI APR stage 1 longevity?

ldvw

I've been interested in taking advantage of fall sale for stage 1 but have an extended warranty. I'm the practical type with occasional need for speed but warranty issues are only thing holding me back esp since I'd rather not plunk down major cash for warranty denied repairs and even other mods - all I want is a stage 1 .

With this system wide tag does that mean all of warranty is void? Also relevant is I am in LA too.

McQueen77

Banned
Perfect. :thumbup:Ill look to be doing an intake around the same time. Love the carbonio. any suggestions?

i had the carbonio for a few weeks and sold it. i hated the sound. some like it, others hate it too. its preference. im back on stock airbox and high flow drop-in filter and i miss nothing about the intake. some swear that intakes cure baldness and enable your car to communicate telepathically with unicorns, but i think they are highly overratted noisemakers on their own; at least with 'just' stage 1 anyway. i call complete BS on claims of increased fuel economy with an intake, quite the opposite actually. your car will pull harder from about 4k on though, that is a fact.

Yes tagged as in TD1, and nobody pissed anyone off, its plain and simple: If I simply took my car to another dealer instead of calling VWoA, it would have been under warranty. But because I called VWoA they tagged me (TD1). The regional rep's feelings has NOTHING to do with the outcome of the situation.

you are a very unlucky man. shitty news dude, i wouldnt wish your situation on anyone. im sorry for giving you a hard time initially. you got a bad dealer dude.. they shoveled a giant load of shit on your face. cant access the ECU until you buy a new one? jesus i would want to burn that place to the ground.. but i also would have done some DIY myself i.e. coil packs etc. before just towing it right to the dealer but thats easier to say i suppose..

bummer brah. many people with APR tunes have gotten warranty work done but there have been some casualties. did you talk to APR at all to see at least if they could work with you or the dealer? stories like this really make you wonder.. everyone says 'be honest with your dealer' but it makes me wonder if you are saying they basically shafted you from the get go the minute you told them you were tuned. its almost like, dont offer up the info even though they will find it anyway.

id love to hear Arin chime in on this one. not like its really the fault of the tune, but still.

Last edited:

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
With this system wide tag does that mean all of warranty is void? Also relevant is I am in LA too.

Look up Moss Act. Cliff notes: a dealer HAS to prove that a modification you did to the car CAUSED the failure they are denying to cover. So if you do a Stage1 tune and your wheel bearings go out, they are covered even if they know about the stage1 tune. They cannot 'void your warranty', but they can deny coverage on specific repairs if they deem the failure is due to modification that causes the failed part to operate outside of it's intended parameters. For example: a Stage1 tune runs the turbo at 18PSI. Guess what? If your turbo dies, they won't cover it unless they're just being super generous.

In qshashaa's case, it could be: Stage1 = more boost = more fuel = injector duty cycles being run out of the norm. I'm no expert on VW injectors and the variance between stock parameters and Stage1 parameters, but that's my guess.

It really depends on the dealer though. A few dealers out there are mod friendly and will be lenient on items that generally fail on stock vehicles as well. Some dealers will be unfair and try to say anything is the tune's fault. So either way, it's a gamble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Sorry to hear man.

McQueen77

Banned
In qshashaa's case, it could be: Stage1 = more boost = more fuel = injector duty cycles being run out of the norm. I'm no expert on VW injectors and the variance between stock parameters and Stage1 parameters, but that's my guess.

It really depends on the dealer though. A few dealers out there are mod friendly and will be lenient on items that generally fail on stock vehicles as well. Some dealers will be unfair and try to say anything is the tune's fault. So either way, it's a gamble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

of course it could and they could be well within their rights to say that after they diagnose the problem to begin with. them just refusing to look at it is them just shafting that dude. shafting him. saying they cant diagnose it until he buys a new ECU is just extortion. disgusting. if i were that guy i would have just towed it to an independent shop and had them do the work. wouldn't give the dealer a dime of my money. not a dime.

what would most likely happen after the poor guy shells out $1500 for a new ECU is that, guess what?! the problem is still there and guess what again?! it was bad coil packs or injectors needing replacement. so the ECU is totally a red herring and they are basically the Satan of VW dealers. i would get the service manager's home address some how, take a dump in a priority mail box and send one to his house once a week for a year. DHL, UPS, FedEx... just mailing that evil bastard shit for a solid year.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
of course it could and they could be well within their rights to say that after they diagnose the problem to begin with. them just refusing to look at it is them just shafting that dude. shafting him. saying they cant diagnose it until he buys a new ECU is just extortion. disgusting. if i were that guy i would have just towed it to an independent shop and had them do the work. wouldn't give the dealer a dime of my money. not a dime....

Oh, I'm in total agreement with you there! This dealer is an ass to deal with and not actually doing anything to troubleshoot the car; I would avoid them at all costs if modded. They're trying to freaking bully this guy with the whole 'flagged, warranty void' thing.

dinosauraphael

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought my car at late December of 2011 and went to apr stage 1 in July. And my clutch just stated slipping yesterday. Total 15,000 miles

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm... Qashasaa hasn't chimed back in to tell everyone the eventual outcome of his failed injectors not being covered? I won't tell his story for him, but suffice it to say, there was a happy ending (not the kind associated with a masseuse) to his saga, and he' living pretty happily with his tuned and warrantied car. Ask him how it all went down.

Merkle

Banned
I had to pay to get my intake manifold replaced, still haven't heard back from VoWA. I didn't get told my car was 'tagged' but I basically got the 'don't come back' from the service guy. I really don't think I'll buy another VW, at least not one with any sort of warranty attached to it.

I'm glad things worked out for this guy though.

qshashaa

Ready to race!
After I paid for my injectors, I had to go back in 4 days after for a cel. They said I had a faulty fuel pump and warrantied it, after the fix I talked to the service manager explaining that could have been the cause of my injectors going bad, I had to call customer relations and they sent over my diagnosis and eventually the dealer gave me my money back on the injectors and the car is under warranty due to a misdiagnosis the first time I came in for a bad injector.

nearsite00

Ready to race!
After I paid for my injectors, I had to go back in 4 days after for a cel. They said I had a faulty fuel pump and warrantied it, after the fix I talked to the service manager explaining that could have been the cause of my injectors going bad, I had to call customer relations and they sent over my diagnosis and eventually the dealer gave me my money back on the injectors and the car is under warranty due to a misdiagnosis the first time I came in for a bad injector.

If you don't mind would you post your data onto this thread > http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48530

hooptie-gti

Passed Driver's Ed
I had to call customer relations and they sent over my diagnosis and eventually the dealer gave me my money back on the injectors and the car is under warranty due to a misdiagnosis the first time I came in for a bad injector.

So basically, they lifted the "tagged" aspect of your file with VWofA and now you have complete coverage even with your tune just because they misdiagnosed it?

hooptie-gti

Passed Driver's Ed
does anyone happen to know of any "mod friendly" dealerships in the northeast ohio area? and if you dont mind asking, how do you guys figure out if its mod friendly, do you just walk in and ask?

"hey, just checking if you guys dont give a shit about the $1,000 worth of mods to my engine?" lol

kec789

Ready to race!
does anyone happen to know of any "mod friendly" dealerships in the northeast ohio area? and if you dont mind asking, how do you guys figure out if its mod friendly, do you just walk in and ask?

"hey, just checking if you guys dont give a shit about the $1,000 worth of mods to my engine?" lol

Most forums have a "this area and that area" section. I found the place for guys on the forums living in Utah/Nevada and PM'd a couple of them to find out who was mod friendly in Salt Lake.

Dave Strong=Asshats and will try to NOT cover things...
Southtowne VW=Mostly cool guys, mod friendly, but there is one guy there who is a tool that I always avoid...

Sorry to renew an older thread.. didn't know if he got an answer and I'm hella bored at work today.

Last edited:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I had to pay to get my intake manifold replaced, still haven't heard back from VoWA. I didn't get told my car was 'tagged' but I basically got the 'don't come back' from the service guy. I really don't think I'll buy another VW, at least not one with any sort of warranty attached to it.

I'm glad things worked out for this guy though.

It's all about the dealer with VW...I learned this the hard way.