GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken Quick connect clip to fuel filter and misfires

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Primed the motor for 30 seconds tonight after reinstalling the motor and broke a fuel line connection and started missing after.

Touch of background, had the motor out and trans out to do the clutch, diff, rear main seal, cam chain tensioner, cam cradle seal, carbon cleaning and to replace the broken exhaust manifold gasket caused by the sheared stud in the head, the reason for pulling the motor.

Primed it to feed oil to the turbo, held the key for exactly 23 seconds before it stopped cranking, figured the small motorcycle battery I used ran out of juice after sitting for a month, or the ECU cut it out. Five to ten seconds later I hear the all too familiar sound of a hose popping underneath the car and fluid hitting concrete. Quickly realized it was the lower of the two lines on the rear side of the fuel filter. The part of the quick connect that depress to release from the filter was gone on the lower connection and the line was hanging, of course it broke because of the built up pressure while priming.
Piece that broke below

Part number: 1K0201293B
Item number 1 on this etka diagram:

http://etka.cc/vw/part_single/catal...201/subcategory/201040/part_id/3686208/lang/e

Had a friend with me, figured I'd still fire the car and let it run for the first time with everything back together for the first time in a month while he offered to hold the fuel line on. Did so, fired first crank, ran smooth, and started missing 10-15 seconds in, pretty sure when the SAI cycle finished it began missing. Killed the motor and ran the codes. Random multiple cylinder misfires. First code being cylinder one, second being cylinder three. When I did the carbon cleaning, all four injectors came out with the intake. Replaced all four blue o-rings that meet the fuel rail, but only the teflon seal on cylinder one after realizing what a bitch that job was with out the expensive kit to reshrink the teflon.

Pulled the coil pack and plug from 1 and replaced both with cylinder four's respectively (cylinder 1s plug looked a tad bit wet on the threads, assuming it was fuel), cleared the codes and fired it up again for about thirty seconds. This time I applied a bit of throttle to around 2k rpms, and while applying throttle there were no misfires. If I hold at 2k rpms or let idle it misses. Shut it back down, ran codes, same codes as the first time. Everything sounds good and feels smooth at idle and while applying throttle until it misses.

Just wanna throw everything out there that I've done since the last time the motor has been turned over before assuming it's anything.

Anyone ever have one of the quick connects break on them? If so can I replace just the connection or do I have to replace the entire line running to the fuel tank. Should that line have even broke priming the system?

I'll start with that fuel line/quick connection replacement, then do plugs if it doesn't resolve the issue, not sure how one or more than one could have fouled during anything I've done, but I've had plugs go on me before, also had an injector go before, and the intake manifold, all feel the same, with rough idle and random misfire condition. If either of those don't do it, I'll pull the intake manifold and at least injector one to check the o-ring as well as the Teflon seal I changed on that injector (what I honestly think is most likely the problem) Worst case scenario if none of that resolves it, I'd assume the flap actuator on the manifold somehow went, and the manifold is toast, an injector somehow went, or there is something clogging the fuel system which I find unlikely.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, I know it's a long one. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated, I feel like I am probably on the right path but any help is appreciated, thanks! So damn close to enjoying a clutch and throwout bearing that doesn't squeak and a diff!

sauceman101

Ready to race!
damn dude. Get the fuel thing fixed first, then run some timing/fuel logs.

Yea gonna look into getting that part today, if any of the local VW dealers don't have it in stock, I'll just order online to save whatever their msrp is.

On a positive note, my exhaust manifold leak squeal is gone!

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Fuel line in, missing in first and fourth only now it appears. Two or three starts just to see if any other cylinder misfire would come up. Going to do plugs right now and pull the intake manifold and injectors next if that doesn't do it

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Well I'd be willing to bet this is my issue ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463276887.927458.jpg

Threw mostly cylinder 1 misfires, also multiple random cylinder misfire, the first start up it through a secondary air injection valve stuck open (p2440 I think) and a p502a "cold start "A" camshaft position timing, over advanced bank 1. Hopefully can get another gasket tomorrow, if not, Monday and should be good to go after that.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Well I'd be willing to bet this is my issueView attachment 53006

Threw mostly cylinder 1 misfires, also multiple random cylinder misfire, the first start up it through a secondary air injection valve stuck open (p2440 I think) and a p502a "cold start "A" camshaft position timing, over advanced bank 1. Hopefully can get another gasket tomorrow, if not, Monday and should be good to go after that.

Did you replace the gasket when you took off the manifold?

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Did you replace the gasket when you took off the manifold?

Yes that gasket was new when the intake manifold was reinstalled, has less than ten minutes of run time on it. The breaks seem like a razor were to cut them. Not sure how it could even by broken as re-Installation of the manifold is guided by the two studs on bottom outside holes. But this is certainly a problem, hopefully the only problem

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Yes that gasket was new when the intake manifold was reinstalled, has less than ten minutes of run time on it. The breaks seem like a razor were to cut them. Not sure how it could even by broken as re-Installation of the manifold is guided by the two studs on bottom outside holes. But this is certainly a problem, hopefully the only problem

Hmm then it must of got pinched during installation I guess. Hopefully it's just that. That's what I think it is. Keep us informed.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Hmm then it must of got pinched during installation I guess. Hopefully it's just that. That's what I think it is. Keep us informed.

That's my only thought, somehow it came out a touch around cylinder one and was cut by the valve tunnel on the head when I tightened it down.

Update: Got it back together two nights ago, ran it for 20 minutes only got a misfire cylinder 1 code and p2008, which I've read will go away after a drive cycle or two.

In my excitement I didn't open the coolant reservoir cap to let air bleed out as it got warm and blew the lower radiator hose off dumping all the coolant, $26 dollars of coolant later I tried again last night. Misfire codes completely gone, ran and sounded great, bled all the air out of the cooling system. Still have the p2008 code for the intake manifold flapper open but it's a soft code and isn't lightening up the dash with a CEL/MIL.

Only thing left to do on this job is replace my axle seals (should have fucking spent the $10 on the two and done it right before the trans went back in, oh well, lesson learned) and replace the outside boot on the driverside axle while it's out again. I knew something was leaking grease before this whole job started a month ago, but didn't find the break in the boot until last night. Should be 100% to go tomorrow after work!.

Beyond ready to break this clutch in and go update to stage 2 right after.