GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GLI stage 2 vs unknown GT 4.6

hey...

So the other night., pulling onto highway on-ramp. A 2003-2004 mustang GT 4.6 starts playing with me.

We do highway pulls from 70mph (rather fast), he wouldnt go any slower.

Nonetheless -- he killed me - WTF? felt like pulling a boat anchor. I wanted to go crawl in a corner, makes me question the car and my mods lol and just want to go with new setup.

I know car is quicker than 4.6's. . Unknown mods. only sounded like the guy had exhaust and tune? Heard no turbo or super charger whine.

I'm contributing this to shitty SHELL gas at latest fill up. As normally I've been filling with RaceTrack -- car runs amazing on racetrack fuel.

Or - the v8 high end was just where he was able to pull on me so hard?

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
Yea you don't want to start racing a v8 at 70 mph, I would never do that. Seems he knew that too and that's why he wouldn't go slower. If I'm racing a v8 I am shutting down at 90~100 mph regardless who is in front. Gotta know your strong point.

Also I have no problem with Shell, I only run something else when I have no choice...RaceTrack is pretty far down on my choices.

Use to only fill up only shell and mobil 93 octane. But recent ~4 months; anytime i fill up with shell, car just under performs. feels so dog-ish; even in same temp conditions, etc.

Yeah -- i knew or had a feeling the driver ofcourse knew weakness; considering was starting at 70mph roll. I know for sure if from 40 roll, or digg, would be completely different outcome.

just hurts the ego and puts into perspective.

Even if the mustang had a different motor; the weight difference would still be still there. Cant be making that much more power N/A without turbo or supercharger.. mehhh...

brobst

Go Kart Champion
If I remember correctly 70mph in 4th gear is like 4k rpm. Not much boost band left between 4k and 6.8k.
That 20psi looking like 10psi round them parts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sauceman101

Ready to race!
If the 4.6 was truly just a GT with hardly done to it, even above 70 a stage 2 should handle it easily. Raced a handful a few years ago from a dig and some roll races while I was on shit tires with a stock GTI and won every single race at every speed (nothing went above 100mph) Can't speak for cammed 4.6s, 4 valve 4.6s in the mach 1 and the blown 4 valve cobra. The mach 1 breathes a lot better and is great in the high rpms. If it didn't have a blower or turbo, maybe some funny gas? Lot's of 4.6s run conservative nitrous shots and get 100 or more hp out of them with little effect on reliability until you get above the 350whp area

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
makes me question the car and my mods lol and just want to go with new setup.
I've thought seriously about just getting into a new platform and starting fresh with something that can handle bigger power. Im always wondering what more I feel like doing with a fwd 2.0

kern417

Go Kart Champion
If the 4.6 was truly just a GT with hardly done to it, even above 70 a stage 2 should handle it easily. Raced a handful a few years ago from a dig and some roll races while I was on shit tires with a stock GTI and won every single race at every speed (nothing went above 100mph) Can't speak for cammed 4.6s, 4 valve 4.6s in the mach 1 and the blown 4 valve cobra. The mach 1 breathes a lot better and is great in the high rpms. If it didn't have a blower or turbo, maybe some funny gas? Lot's of 4.6s run conservative nitrous shots and get 100 or more hp out of them with little effect on reliability until you get above the 350whp area

yeah pretty much it's not stock. doesn't matter if you started from 100. they make less power and less torque everywhere.

It was a true 4.6 4v, GT.. had exhaust dump setup. Didn't sound like it was cammed, normal bubbly 4.6 motor...

Drove normal past him, and then he lined up next to me onto on ramp and he decided to play. Left before I did, but I couldn't catch him from there either.

I hate this unitronic stage 2 tune, seriously. so much F** rage.. The on-ramp has a turn in, and anytime I WOT on the turn in, same exact on ramp. my car cuts power,, regardless if traction control on or off. you hear my exhaust rap as it cuts power, and then it lets me roll on it -- kills any and all momentum i have.

Is it odd that my car actually feels like it performs better (butt dyno) on Racetrack 93oct than over shell or mobil fill up? I've always avoided racetrack, and now its entirely different world. That much of a difference...

@76,000 miles on car now (2013 year). Seriously doubting going k04 or F23t. Majority of mileage is highway. Damn florida and highway driving. /rant

True, considering a GLI.

I've pulled PCV and looked -- I have pics on phone, somewhere.. However; the color bands are different than the advised 'good' and 'weak' descriptions.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
It was a true 4.6 4v, GT.. had exhaust dump setup. Didn't sound like it was cammed, normal bubbly 4.6 motor...

Drove normal past him, and then he lined up next to me onto on ramp and he decided to play. Left before I did, but I couldn't catch him from there either.

I hate this unitronic stage 2 tune, seriously. so much F** rage.. The on-ramp has a turn in, and anytime I WOT on the turn in, same exact on ramp. my car cuts power,, regardless if traction control on or off. you hear my exhaust rap as it cuts power, and then it lets me roll on it -- kills any and all momentum i have.

Is it odd that my car actually feels like it performs better (butt dyno) on Racetrack 93oct than over shell or mobil fill up? I've always avoided racetrack, and now its entirely different world. That much of a difference...

@76,000 miles on car now (2013 year). Seriously doubting going k04 or F23t. Majority of mileage is highway. Damn florida and highway driving. /rant

K04 dat bitch and wave buh bye to the silly mustangs.

DC5 Redline

Passed Driver's Ed

Drop in a K04 and it will feel like a different car. With just over 83k+ miles, my son just got the engine’s head serviced (carbon buildup removed) on his 2013 GTI and at the same time had the dealer install APR’s valve springs. Car runs better than the day it rolled off the dealer’s showroom floor. With other improvements including intake, downpipe/exhaust system, intercooler, and tune his GTI is giving a lot of American muscle cars a run for their money.