GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

70 to 100k and beyond...

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Was hoping to get some pointers and suggestions for items I should start paying attention to as the car starts getting up there in mileage.

Car is a 2011 GTI 4 door (see sig for mods). Already did the timing chain and new serpentine belt when I installed the Fluidamper pulley. No issues with the manifold or water pump..... Yet

What should I start paying attention to next?

Thanks..

Laimface

Ready to race!
Have you changed the gearbox oil yet? I'd assume you did it when you did the clutch.

Doing a bushing refresh will help with the feel of the car in the twisties too. I had a 2003 Renault 172 Cup which I thought handled great until I poly bushed it, holy moly it was on rails after that.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Refresh the "lifetime" fluids. Other than that treat it like any other car. Regularly inspect any rubber parts, coolant lines in particular, as well as look for signs of coolant or oil leaks. Otherwise just drive.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Have you done the rear main seal? Vacuum pump?
Keep always an extra coilpack in the glove compartment.
Brake fluid flush.
Look for corrosion in both front fender, by the insulation foam.
I think you’re good to go :thumbsup:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
136k miles here. Also did timing chain and tensioner proactively.

Things I'm looking at now are suspension-related. The front end doesn't feel as tight as it used to. Planning to replace sway bar end links and lower control arm bushings, as well as the Tyrolsport Deadset kit to tighten things up.

shaolinmastr

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 89k on my GTI and I do all normal maintenance. My 09 B6 Passat wagon has 135k and still running like a champ on Stage 2 and original stock turbo. I agree with everyone else keep up your maintenance and look at your the seals and bushings periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Reporting in at 163k here and just wanted to note a few things:

- If you haven't done a carbon cleaning yet, you're probably due for one. Either get it done proactively, or wait until you get misfires and go into limp mode...

- If you are still on the stock battery, you may want to get the battery tested. Got mine tested and a low charge was identified. 11k miles later it started to leak battery acid. (Replaced it at 111k miles)

- Lube your door weather strippings (and sunroof rails if you have one) to remove noises and prolong the life of the rubber.

- Some of your actuators may fail, but you won't know until they do. For example, my gas tank actuator (locking mechanism) and trunk latch both failed on me. Luckily these are easy to fix/replace.

Other than that, just all the normal maintenance that the other guys have already mentioned.

Cheers.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks everyone..

I'm going to do a carbon cleaning relatively soon, and at the same time upgrade the manifold. I could be wrong but I thought I saw a thread here about an updated one..

What's the general consensus regarding polyurethane suspension bushings?

Probably going to do the deadset kit for the subframe but 250.00 seems a little crazy but not sure if that's something I'd want to get used.. Are there cheaper options out there?

Reading the above posts it seems I've got most of it covered already

Thanks again..

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
- Lube your door weather strippings (and sunroof rails if you have one) to remove noises and prolong the life of the rubber.

What did you use? Maybe hit them with some silicone spray?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm sure silicone spray will work OK, but man it can get messy. I use Gummi Pflege & it is a no mess application. Bought mine from the Amazonian's.