GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG problems

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Lately i have been experiencing Problems with my DSG. Little background, i have done the dsg service at 79k. And the car is currently at 93k. Ive been
noticing that when I'm parked and start the car to select "D" i head a clucking noise coming from the car. Can anyone that has a DSG relate to that?

Also when coming to a stop i cant hear it not all the time but its noticeable. And taking off i get a sudden jerk.
So i did the DSG reset/recalibration and everything is smooth. And also read somewhere that i can try to drain the excess DSG fluid by removing the main plug. So i did that and noticed that the fluid is dark.

So far its been better and Now the only think I noticed is the clunk when selecting the gear and it still jerk when taking off from a complete stop when I'm in manual mode.

Can someone give me some advice?
I also took it to the dealership a d the technician said that he felt what he needed to feel and she said that the first course of action is to do the DSG flush. So i might give that a go.
Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uberryan

Banned
If you're tuned, this is relatively normal (jerking), and the clunk is also typical too. Unless your clutch feels like it's slipping or you're managing to stall the DSG somehow, I don't foresee an issue here.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
If you're tuned, this is relatively normal (jerking), and the clunk is also typical too. Unless your clutch feels like it's slipping or you're managing to stall the DSG somehow, I don't foresee an issue here.

No, im not experiencing slipping. Yes i am tuned. And im glad you mentioned that because i started noticing it after i got the tune. Maybe a DSG tune is what i need.
Thank you

melpwnGTi

Ready to race!
if you got the recent APR tune 2.4, youll have the weird jerk in first. unless you smoothly give it some pedal like you wanna really go. not practical for around town tho.. give it light throttle to mitigate the jerkyness. fyi i dont have a dsg tune.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
if you got the recent APR tune 2.4, youll have the weird jerk in first. unless you smoothly give it some pedal like you wanna really go. not practical for around town tho.. give it light throttle to mitigate the jerkyness. fyi i dont have a dsg tune.

I actually cobb turned with stratified flash tune. I might email stratified for some information.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!

Got rid of that jerkiness in first by changing the DSG fluid and re adapting the trans via VCDS. Its been a few days so far and its still smooth.

Edit 7/5/17: DSG is still smooth after 7k miles, but I also corrected some boost leaks

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
I did my DSG fluid after noticing my Reverse to D/1 gear change was rough, with audible clunk. I re-adapted the DSG via VCDS, and it was fairly smooth, but the rough shift is back. Seems like once it's fully adapted to my driving style, it starts doing this sort of thing.

I'm obviously out of warranty and don't know if this is something I need to be alarmed about. No codes from the tranny, no nothing. I also hear the usual clunk when the car downshifts to first gear. I might try to re-adapt the DSG again, but I would think if there was a serious issue, it would be present even after clutch adaptation and all that.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I have that same jerk when I let off the brake. I also just did a DSG service, but I didn't readjust the DSG.

Sounds like I need to though...

KDOG1

Ready to race!
I had the same problem when I bought my 2010 gti, the jerkiness say cruising to a stop sign and letting it auto downshift, compensating on the brake so it was less jerky, and leaving stop sign it would buck shifting 1-2, also had the gear change problem, would jump/buck into reverse from park, or wouldn't shift in to reverse or drive at all and had to restart car.. it eventually started throwing codes and I had to get a new mechatronics and clutch packs replaced, after those were replaced I was incredibly pleased with the result, no jerkiness shifting up or down or any gear, manual mode was way smoother, regular drive was incredibly improved..

Uberryan

Banned
I actually decided to take the car into the dealer and see if they could check for the DSG update file. They ended up having me take the service manager for a ride instead and I demonstrated the reverse to drive hesitation and bucking, and they're now rebuilding the transmission. They said the Shop foreman signed off on it, and have not shown me a bill or estimate, so I'm assuming they're picking up the tab. Nice $4k courtesy there. I'll be bringing them a box of donuts when the work's finished.

KDOG1

Ready to race!
I actually decided to take the car into the dealer and see if they could check for the DSG update file. They ended up having me take the service manager for a ride instead and I demonstrated the reverse to drive hesitation and bucking, and they're now rebuilding the transmission. They said the Shop foreman signed off on it, and have not shown me a bill or estimate, so I'm assuming they're picking up the tab. Nice $4k courtesy there. I'll be bringing them a box of donuts when the work's finished.

haha dang that's awesome.. Last week my trans oil pump went out, and I'm waiting on my extended warranty to send an inspector out to approve, VW wants to put in a whole new trans.. just hoping it doesn't get denied cause itl be costly.. find out this week, been stressing on it

Uberryan

Banned
haha dang that's awesome.. Last week my trans oil pump went out, and I'm waiting on my extended warranty to send an inspector out to approve, VW wants to put in a whole new trans.. just hoping it doesn't get denied cause itl be costly.. find out this week, been stressing on it

There really isn't much realm of plausibility for them to find to deny the coverage. These DSG boxes shouldn't be destructing on stock turbo power. There isn't much outside that realm that the TCU/ECU will allow for you to abuse it.

Uberryan

Banned
Welp that was a short lived feeling of joy, dealer called to inform me my power train was expired... which obviously... it's a 2011... Not sure why they signed off on it, took it in, issued me a loaner and then the second thought on it was "oh, your power train is expired" let's see if VW will goodwill it. Which they won't.

Jaber

Modero
Welp that was a short lived feeling of joy, dealer called to inform me my power train was expired... which obviously... it's a 2011... Not sure why they signed off on it, took it in, issued me a loaner and then the second thought on it was "oh, your power train is expired" let's see if VW will goodwill it. Which they won't.

Wow, that sucks monkey balls.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

1. They want you to get into a new VW, because it's soooo much better. :rolleyes:

2. They will give you like $4500 for yours as a trade-in. :thumbdown: