GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust smell in cabin

jkells

Ready to race!
GTI MK6 Stg2 +.

Only recently started happening. Weird exhaust smell inside the cabin. Now I know the air comes through the air ducts near the rain guard into the cabin but I still don't know where the smell is coming from... I have done research and found out it could be anywhere from the turbo to the intake manifold to the exhaust. But I don't have a vacuum leak anywhere. Help?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

jkells

Ready to race!
And maybe it is just me, but I only smell the exhaust when accelerating. When I'm completely stopped I don't smell it anymore.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Carbon monoxide from leaky exhaust is a killer!! Get your joints checked asap.

vwrabid

Ready to race!
Technically, carbon monoxide is odorless.
Personally, I adore the smell of my sweet catless exhaust as it wafts up from behind me after stopping at an intersection. Windows down. Sun roof open.

But yeah, if your getting any "gasses" through the ventilation. It has to be a leak up front and under somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Technically, carbon monoxide is odorless.
Personally, I adore the smell of my sweet catless exhaust as it wafts up from behind me after stopping at an intersection. Windows down. Sun roof open.

ME too. Love pulling up to a stop light and then a few seconds go buy and the exhaust catches back up and i get a hint of fuel.

But OP i would get it looked into if its happening all the time could make you sick.

jkells

Ready to race!
Check for leaks, put a shop vac set to blow in the exhaust and plug the other pipe off, get soapy water and start spraying at th e turbo and on back...you also could have a broken flex pipe.

https://vimeo.com/196702805
I was thinking of the exact same problem. Already checked everything else in the engine bay. And this makes sense as if there is a leak here, the gasses will rise up and the air intake vent is right there.

FriggenT1

Banned
I was thinking of the exact same problem. Already checked everything else in the engine bay. And this makes sense as if there is a leak here, the gasses will rise up and the air intake vent is right there.

Do you have aftermarket motor mounts? If not, that could certainly cause a break in the exhaust area

FriggenT1

Banned
And what did you do to fix it?

Well, the test I did was as I wrote above with a shop vac, it has 2 holes for vacuuming or blowing (quite handy to listen up dirt before interior cleaning I'll add). I stuffed a sponge in one exhaust port and set the hose up to blow into the other port. I got soapy water and sprayed all of the connections from the turbo/dp, and found there were bubbles as the vid shows actually coming from right after the flange. I used some foil tape temporarily, and then finally took the dp off and got a bead put around it. The first thing I'd likely do is spray all 4 do bolts with pb blaster, and let it sit for a day or 2...spray multiple times if you can. Then check the tq on them (iirc it's 35 ft lbs). It could simply be the bolts are loosened after a few heat cycles. If not, then I'd check all joints for leaks with the shopvac trick.