GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Stage 2 + NY Inspection

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I had that code on t he 1.02 map. Once I flashed to the 1.03 map no more CEL's.

Oh that's right sorry I read that before lol. You got lucky then. Come to think of it, COBB released the 103 and stock MAF files after I was having these inspection issues. I haven't taken the spacer out since the new file so I may be in the same boat as you. I don't really feel any surging unless I don't know any better lol. I ultimately want to go etune so if it ain't broke don't break it I guess.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I get surging at wot in 4th and 5th on APR stg2 if I keep a spacer on both 2nd and 3rd sensors. I can keep a spacer on the last one but have to take it off the 2nd. Are you also cbfa Noto?

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Then you have a downpipe that has a spacer built in or there's something you're not saying like the dude kept clearing codes and forcing readiness until it accepted it and i bet its not a cbfa

LOL im not kidding my dude. I have a basic ass CBFA CTS catless downpipe with no spacers, running GIAC stage 2 software and I live in NY. Passed emissions just as easy as last year with the exact set up. GIAC...thats all you gotta know... California emissions are way stricter. ;)

DELETE

Autocross Champion
youre not in NY. we cant pass w a file that eliminates codes. we have to have all sensors active hence going back to stock

In Jersey you need 7 out of 8 ready. They can't tell if your tuned nor does that matter. They have a floor cam for "visual" but as long as there's a physical cat (hollowed out or high flow) and 7 out of 8 monitors ready (doesn't matter which 7) then you're done. If a test file from those other guys eliminates codes but doesn't allow readiness then no that won't fly. COBB doesn't eliminate codes. I don't know if their newest files change the AFR in a way that even without a spacer they don't throw codes or what. nyclifeg seems to have it down.

Last edited:

nyclifeg

Here is what I got from Cobb Support. I'm pretty sure I will have to go the spacer route and hopefully get readiness.

Hello Kirill,
Thank you for contacting COBB support!

Unfortunately I am unable to comment on NY State inspection requirements as we are located in Texas.

A Stage 2 vehicle or a vehicle running an upgraded aftermarket downpipe/high flow catalyst will not be able to set readiness. Stage 2 OTS mapping does not force readiness on any platform as it is federally illegal. Unless your OEM downpipe is reinstalled, it is unlikely that you will ever be able to set readiness for inspection purposes naturally.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

NLeo

Ready to race!
Im in NY and have no problem passing inspection catless. I just put the car back into stock mode and put a spacer on the rear o2. Takes about 10 miles of driving for all of the sensors to go ready. Even the cat goes ready.

nyclifeg

Im in NY and have no problem passing inspection catless. I just put the car back into stock mode and put a spacer on the rear o2. Takes about 10 miles of driving for all of the sensors to go ready. Even the cat goes ready.

@NLEO Thanks for that information. Do you have a pic of how yours is installed and which brand spacer? Want to make sure I put it in the right direction.

Do you run with the spacer all the time or just install it when you need to pass inspection?

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
If Im CCTA am I going to have any issues running a catted downpipe with the stock catback? It would be on revo stage 2

nyclifeg

We have a number of customers that are able to set readiness with with aftermarket downpipes and tune.

Alex do you know the details? Are these customers running spacers to get rediness?

I'm considering switching to a stratified tune; will it have any impact of getting rediness without adding spacers?

Thanks

NLeo

Ready to race!
@NLEO Thanks for that information. Do you have a pic of how yours is installed and which brand spacer? Want to make sure I put it in the right direction.

Do you run with the spacer all the time or just install it when you need to pass inspection?

Its a right angled ebay spacer. My friend gave it to me and he paid like $15 for 2 of them. I just put it on the rear o2 for a day and take it off right after the inspection. Ive found that it doesnt matter what way you put it but I run it parallel with the dowpipe with the o2 wires facing the rear of the car.

Then I just drive around with a code reader and wait till at least all of them except one are ready. Youre allowed 1 not ready in NY but usually they are all ready including the cat. It usually takes 2 cold starts to get the cat ready.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Its a right angled ebay spacer. My friend gave it to me and he paid like $15 for 2 of them. I just put it on the rear o2 for a day and take it off right after the inspection. Ive found that it doesnt matter what way you put it but I run it parallel with the dowpipe with the o2 wires facing the rear of the car.

Then I just drive around with a code reader and wait till at least all of them except one are ready. Youre allowed 1 not ready in NY but usually they are all ready including the cat. It usually takes 2 cold starts to get the cat ready.

are you cbfa or ccta? I'm in NY as well and I'm ccta and I'm about to install a 200 cell catted downpipe and mate it to the stock catback in the next week or two. I plan on upgrading to stage 2 (revo). I'm going to check with vag to see whats ready and whats not one the downpipe is installed but does anyone have any idea what ill be in for with a ccta in NY? I'm asking about readiness, not about any type of visual inspection.