GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTI vs. Golf R

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Well, depends what you mean by chip: stage1, stage2... ?
vs. Stage 1 we actually tested it a couple of days ago you can read it in my thread in the MK6 Vs. rubric for details, result was pretty even between Stock R and stage 1 GTI, but then again we are talking about (1) a straight line, (2) a pretty long one, (3) in the dry, and (4) from a roll, to state which car "is faster" that's hardly enough criteria: change one of those four parameters and from what we've TESTED I think the R definitely wins

don't forget, the gti closed up about a 3 car gap and went on to put a "car", by that i mean your nose at my rear bumper, meaning that a stage 1 gti does put more power to the ground than a stock R. just thought i'd point that out.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
People thinking that remapping the GTI to stage 1 for a few 100 bucks would be better are also wrong because:
1- A stage 1 GTI will still be slower that a stock Golf R; Agreed
2- Remapping the GTI will make it lose one of its greatest assets which is its perfect balance: you’d have too much power on just front wheels which will ruin the ride and handling, (Not True) negatively affect XDS and dramatically increase wheelspin. (It can if you don't know how to control it but I have very little wheel spin and I'm stage 2) The brakes would be too small for such power (front discs are 312mm, rear are just 253mm and are not auto-ventilated), The brakes are not "too small" could they be improved? Of course but I haven't flew off the road or rear ennded anyone because my brakes failed! the suspension setting would not be adapted; the car’s balance will be ruined just to gain 0.5s in acceleration, and if it’s raining you’re better off on foot. I drive in the rain all the time and don't have any issues. Is the R better in the wet? Of course it is, any AWD would be.
3- For the same few 100 bucks a Golf R can be remapped to Stage 1 with 300+bhp and 400+Nm of torque without ruining the experience since it already has upgraded brakes, suspension, engine reinforcement and more importantly an AWD transmission. It depends on your uses and likes I suppose. I have done significant mods to my car and not boasting but I'm sure I would beat a stock R any day of the week from a roll on all seasons, won't beat it off the line from a dig but would likely catch it after a short distance. And with the money I have put into it it's still less than an R would have run me.
IMO people saying that the R is not worth the cash are also wrong for the following reasons:
First: lot of optional equipment on the Golf GTI come as standard on the Golf R such as bi-xenon directional headlights, led brake lights, 18” alloys, climatronic, leather door sills and centre armrest, launch control (these are the minimal standard specs for any market);
Second: so basically the price difference between similarly specced cars one in GTI guise and the other in R guise actually covers:

1- 60bhp more power and 70Nm more peak torque (acceleration is down from 6.9s to 5.5s), OK
2- A reinforced engine block (cylinder head, bearings, stronger pistons and gudgeon pins, reinforced connecting rods etc…) with 1.2 bar KO4 Are you sure? a quote from your top gear article "VW is quick to point out that the turbo four - the same 2.0-litre engine as the standard 207bhp (and 207lb ft) GTI but with some extra boost and inlet/exhaust tweaks"
3- An AWD transmission, Yep
4- A more sporty suspension tuning, I'll take your word for it
5- An enhanced gearbox software, (The US will only get a manual at first)
6- Better and bigger brakes and Ok I can spend a few hundered and my brakes will be just fine (pads, lines, fluid)
7- A more aggressive and distinctive body kit; yep

I am not praising the Golf R just because I own one Sure seems that way.

It's awesome that the Golf R is coming to America! that's great. I would love to have one. The R from what i have read will be about $35k ish, I got my GTI for $25k with DSG, Sunroof, and upgraded radio (all I wanted) But for the 15k difference in price I can do a heck of a lot to my GTI. I may never overcome the AWD advantage which you have but in a straight line you'd have no chance. I don't need AWD so it's not a big selling point to me. And lastly I love modding my cars and the $15k difference allows a lot of modding for me. Just my $0.02

JP

Last edited:

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Forum arguments are funny. I can picture everyone banging furiously on their keyboards and staying up all night until the thread gets closed and no one wins

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Forum arguments are funny. I can picture everyone banging furiously on their keyboards and staying up all night until the thread gets closed and no one wins

i think your confusing this thread with one of the apr vs revo ones:rolleyes:

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
It's awesome that the Golf R is coming to America! that's great. I would love to have one. The R from what i have read will be about $35k ish, I got my GTI for $25k with DSG, Sunroof, and upgraded radio (all I wanted) But for the 15k difference in price I can do a heck of a lot to my GTI. I may never overcome the AWD advantage which you have but in a straight line you'd have no chance. I don't need AWD so it's not a big selling point to me. And lastly I love modding my cars and the $15k difference allows a lot of modding for me. Just my $0.02

JP

hehehe loved the way you censored my post and picked your reply out of context, you must have a stazy in the family;)

Anyway I guess you are posting in the wrong thread dude, this one is about stock vs stock in all objectivity with pros and cons on both cars (that is if you have read objectively the OP)

Concerning what you said about the drive and performance of the cars, I do agree that a stage 2 would beat a stock golf R (if it doesn't you really have a serious problem!), I was actually defending this point in another thread. but in all cases for what your 0.02$ is worth you're stating your opinion on a hypothetical drive concerning a future car which you will eventually see and maybe (hopefully) drive in the near future. We've TESTED the cars and a stock R is pretty even with a stg1 GTI in conditions favoring the GTI (roll, dry, looong straight etc...) you can revert to the right thread if you're really interested. now about your stage 2 having no wheel spin and beating a hypothetical golf r in all seasons, well I wouldn't dare claim on knowing about it (and if I ever did, I hereby retract promptly) and just say :clap:

Oh and about the engine difference on both cars, YES I am sure:) top gear is not going to state exactly all the changes cause 80% of audience is not really interested, if you'd care to read it I could always send you a link:)

I usually get pretty satisfied when winning on the road:) you can't entitle everyone's opinions to yours.. or sometimes even to reality;)

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
hehehe loved the way you censored my post and picked your reply out of context, you must have a stazy in the family;)

Anyway I guess you are posting in the wrong thread dude, this one is about stock vs stock in all objectivity with pros and cons on both cars (that is if you have read objectively the OP)

Concerning what you said about the drive and performance of the cars, I do agree that a stage 2 would beat a stock golf R (if it doesn't you really have a serious problem!), I was actually defending this point in another thread. but in all cases for what your 0.02$ is worth you're stating your opinion on a hypothetical drive concerning a future car which you will eventually see and maybe (hopefully) drive in the near future. We've TESTED the cars and a stock R is pretty even with a stg1 GTI in conditions favoring the GTI (roll, dry, looong straight etc...) you can revert to the right thread if you're really interested. now about your stage 2 having no wheel spin and beating a hypothetical golf r in all seasons, well I wouldn't dare claim on knowing about it (and if I ever did, I hereby retract promptly) and just say :clap:

Oh and about the engine difference on both cars, YES I am sure:) top gear is not going to state exactly all the changes cause 80% of audience is not really interested, if you'd care to read it I could always send you a link:)

I usually get pretty satisfied when winning on the road:) you can't entitle everyone's opinions to yours.. or sometimes even to reality;)

I'm not posting in the "wrong thread" you are comparing two dramatically different cars, one's that in all actuality should not even be compared. Compare an Audi TTS to a Goldf R that would be a good one, also YOU noted a "verdict" making several statements comparing a stage 1 car and the R so you opened up the modded GTI vs R comparison. Some of your statements like "you’d have too much power on just front wheels which will ruin the ride and handling" are almost word for word from the article you linked not from experience. I interjected because I have a modded GTI and it is not uncontrolable, and it handles just fine. So I was refuting your statements with experience I have. Now my opinion on beating a golf R is just that opinion. Cant back it up cause we dont have them. On the engine if you have info yes please link it because I have read nothing (at least on the US spec R) which states this.

JP

Last edited:

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
i think your confusing this thread with one of the apr vs revo ones:rolleyes:

I'm gonna be honest and say that i didn't read the whole thread. Just seems like that's where this thread is going if it hasn't already gotten there yet :iono:

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
I'm gonna be honest and say that i didn't read the whole thread. Just seems like that's where this thread is going if it hasn't already gotten there yet :iono:

nah, far from it. tazz and jp really like each other. they just don't know it yet.

lol jk:lol:

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I'm not posting in the "wrong thread" you are comparing two dramatically different cars, one's that in all actuality should not even be compared. Compare an Audi TTS to a Goldf R that would be a good one. Some of your statements like "you’d have too much power on just front wheels which will ruin the ride and handling" are almost word for word from the article you linked not from experience. I interjected because I have a modded GTI and it is not uncontrolable, and it handles just fine. So I was refuting your statements with experience I have. Now my opinion on beating a golf R is just that opinion. Cant back it up cause we dont have them. On the engine if you have info yes please link it because I have read nothing (at least on the US spec R) which states this.

JP

Well from the comments I read in the thread and the view counts, everyone seemed VERY happy reading the comparison and found it appropriate and useful... but whatever you say, Moderator delete this thread please!:laugh:

No seriously dude, I DO think you misunderstood...I shouldn't have compared it to a TT S because I was not trying to see which is faster, cause even my grandma know the R is faster than the GTI, I was just trying to give a comparison of the 2 nicest golfs around in all aspects for potential buyers, hesitating switchers, or just the curious ones, and what are objectively the difference in daily driving because unlike most I've had the chance to drive both on the same day in the same conditions several times and try about everything, and if you read my OP you will see that I have placed the pros and the cons of both :readthethread: (but I say that with a smile:))

concerning my comments about wheelspin I am not stating any article, I apologise I haven't driven a stage 2, but I have many times driven and recently raced a stage 1 GTI, and the GTI owner, myself and the other fellow racers all agreed that wheelspin was the weakpoint of FWD since I stood up pretty well to stage 1 cars more powerful than mine, and got in fact beaten only by the 310hp Cupra (and that was in the dry and from a roll), so I would logically imagine that stage 2 with more power would worsen wheelspin, and even more so in "all seasons" conditions it doesn't take an article to quote to come up with this conclusion. I am sure your car handles fine, but I don't think it handles like I'd want it to based on my testing of the handling of a stage 1 GTI, there's a reason why 99% of sports cars boasting more than 250hp are manufactured either RWD or AWD and not FWD including on platforms which are entry level FWD... beleive me I learned that the hard way;)

Last edited:

TAZZ1

Ready to race!

Just read the first post, after all my purpose was just to convey an objective experience, and I wrote as clearly as possible

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I surrender! What Ev. I am happy for you that you have an R available to you and that you own one. I disagree with many of your suppositions but hey I stated my opinion as you did yours. The R is an awesome car (I really love the blue speedo and tac needles) Maybe I'll own one maybe not. Right now I love my GTI and will not be trading it in on an R. Happy motoring!

JP

Nicoo..

Ready to race!
:paddle: JP VS. Tazz :fighting0030:
:lol: