GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need immediate help with a P0101 code

Gkivoo

Ready to race!
So I just had my new clutch installed yesterday and my car tested for a boost leak as I was getting a hissing noise at peak boost the past month or so. I'm APR stage 2.

Got the car back last night and the leak test came back negative. Car was running like shit right out of the garage. Took it down the block and home as I assumed the clutch was maybe being weird during break in. Took the car out again this morning and it threw a P0101 code for MAF. I reset it and the car was still running weird. Stuttering when coming to stops, hesitation and stuttering when I'm keeping the throttle at a steady increase, and a lot of unusual gurgling and popping from the exhaust while just keeping a steady speed and RPM.

Unplugged the MAF and it ran fine. Took it back to the shop this afternoon and the guy cleaned the sensor and said that should fix it and if not the code is for the MAF and to just get a new one. Cleaning it didn't fix it so I went to a VW dealership and just picked up a new one.

New MAF is in and it didn't fix anything.

What do I do? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned
Well, if it was running like crap, you unplugged the maf and then it was fine, means it must be the maf. Were the part numbers the same? Stupid question, but it has happened...is the maf turned the right way? Same intake as before? Which intake?

Gkivoo

Ready to race!
Well, if it was running like crap, you unplugged the maf and then it was fine, means it must be the maf. Were the part numbers the same? Stupid question, but it has happened...is the maf turned the right way? Same intake as before? Which intake?

It was replaced with the exact same part number and the part was picked up from VW. MAF is installed the correct way and it's the same exact intake (APR Carbonio stage 1)

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Your problem is the throttle body pipe. I would assume you have an air leak there since you have to remove it to remove the trans. Unplugging the MAF is getting you by the leak.

If it runs better with the MAF unplugged it sometimes is the MAF, but it can also be an air leak. You have to be smarter than the issue before you just start throwing parts at it...

FriggenT1

Banned
Your problem is the throttle body pipe. I would assume you have an air leak there since you have to remove it to remove the trans. Unplugging the MAF is getting you by the leak.

If it runs better with the MAF unplugged it sometimes is the MAF, but it can also be an air leak. You have to be smarter than the issue before you just start throwing parts at it...

This is a good idea...I had a BG induction service done on my car, and had the p2188 code for a LONG time. I noticed when going over my clamps that I could tighten that TB clamp and it would just get loose and it would only get so tight. I put a breeze hi-torque clamp on it, tightened it to 95 in lbs, which seemed to help (though I had a few small leaks). I think it's likely any and all stock or weak clamps should be replaced.

Anyway, good call there bro!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
This is a good idea...I have a BG induction service done on my car, and had the pw188 code for a LONG time. I noticed when going over my clamps that I could tighten that TB clamp and it would just get loose and it would only get so tight. I put a breeze hi-torque clamp on it, tightened it to 95 in lbs, which seemed to help (though I had a few small leaks). I think it's likely any and all stock or weak clamps should be replaced.

Anyway, good call there bro!

FWIW I still have the OEM clamp on the OEM hose coming off the TB with 120k miles on it and it's probably been off 100 times. Not to mention I run 28-30psi daily and flow a lot of air. The OEM clamps are actually really good when they don't get way overtightened!

FriggenT1

Banned
FWIW I still have the OEM clamp on the OEM hose coming off the TB with 120k miles on it and it's probably been off 100 times. Not to mention I run 28-30psi daily and flow a lot of air. The OEM clamps are actually really good when they don't get way overtightened!

Yeah, we'll I over tightened mine lol.

Gkivoo

Ready to race!
So apparently my issue was a leak in the intercooler piping. O-ring was broken and after replacing that, car drives normally again.