GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb intake and Unitronic DV Relocation kit

carmaster22

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone made these work together?

I was reading through the thread about the Unitronic DV relocation kit and the rep from Uni didn't guarantee compatibility with any intakes except their own but said that any intake with a 3" diameter should fit.

When I saw that the Cobb intake was a 3" diameter, I thought there wouldn't be an issue.

Well...after trying to install both this weekend, I found the issue: the silicone coupling in the DV relocation kit is made for an intake pipe with a 90 degree bend going into the coupling. The Cobb intake piping is closer to a 45 degree angle so it won't fit into the Unitronic coupling.

I'm thinking the only solution is to have a custom silicone coupling made that has the offshoot for the DV relocation piping as well as the angle needed for the Cobb intake piping.

But I wanted to see if anyone here has a solution...anyone?

ksandman

Ready to race!
I'm think either custom silicon or modify the intake piping by welding a new bung on there to hook up the relocation line.

I was curious to this as well because I just installed my Cobb intake and I have the rev c DV and it makes a horrible whine at WOT, but I think going with a rev d or DV+ can solve my issue.

What's you reasoning for trying to use the DV relocation?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

The sound from the DV resonates back thru the intake is where the "whine" comes from:

Moving it away, with a DV relocate, should get rid of the noise :thumbsup:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The sound from the DV resonates back thru the intake is where the "whine" comes from:

Moving it away, with a DV relocate, should get rid of the noise :thumbsup:

somehwat this and most people do the relocate because it usually puts it in a more accessible location so they can change it or whatever more easily.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
somehwat this and most people do the relocate because it usually puts it in a more accessible location so they can change it or whatever more easily.

On the old FSI engines, yes.

But with the newer OEM piston DV's....they don't really need to be changed that frequently (if at all) anymore, but I know what you mean

carmaster22

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm think either custom silicon or modify the intake piping by welding a new bung on there to hook up the relocation line.

I was curious to this as well because I just installed my Cobb intake and I have the rev c DV and it makes a horrible whine at WOT, but I think going with a rev d or DV+ can solve my issue.

Yeah, I was thinking about a custom silicon coupler and that's probably what I'll have to do, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had a solution first.

As far as why I wanted the DV relocation kit, I wanted the DV in an easily accessible location because I wanted to test a stock Rev D (my car came with a Rev C) and also the GFB DV+. In addition, it moves it away from the hot turbo to near the throttle body, so the air that it's working with has already passed through the intercooler. Theoretically, this increases the life of the DV and as well as improves throttle response. I can't say about the throttle response because my DV is in the stock location right now but that is info I gathered from various posts about the relocation kit.

Dan from AU Tuning said that a DV relocation kit is overkill on a stock turbo from the heat perspective, so I knew it wasn't a necessary mod for me. But I just liked the fact that it made the DV much more accessible and easier to make changes to.