GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS DV relocate intake coupler issue

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Sooooo, I am really getting tired of the coupler that goes between my intake pipe and my K04. It keeps popping off or the clamp slides off of it. Every time I get it tightened down well, a couple of weeks go by and it comes back off. Trying to find an alternative that will work that has the side reroute on it to my relocated DV. My intake is the volant intake and I believe has the same 2 or 2.25 inch size as the inlet for my k04. Would something like this work?

https://shopdap.com/store/uh009-in2.html

FriggenT1

Banned
Does your intake match the cts coupler? They purposely made it 2.75" to only match their intake.... I took a small piece of silicone pipe and fit it inside of mine to match the stock stage 2 pipe.

FriggenT1

Banned
I did this....

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
I did this....

I did that too for my intake. the issue is on the bottom where the coupler connects to the turbo. It doesn't seem to be very snug on the k04 and when i tighten the clamp the clamp sildes off the coupler slides up and off. I was thinking this uni coupler might work better, but the side port might be bigger in diameter than the CTS 45 degree elbow fitting.....

FriggenT1

Banned
I can't say I've had that issue, but is the coupler all the way down? Which clamp are you using on it? Does the inside of it get oil or anything on it? I thoroughly cleaned all the silicone on my kit with dawn and then 91% rubbing alcohol since silicone sometimes leaves a residue that's very slick.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
I cleaned it, but i may clean it some more with some rubbing alcohol. it seems to fit pretty loosely so I was just think I could get a tighter coupling like that UNI one.

FriggenT1

Banned
I cleaned it, but i may clean it some more with some rubbing alcohol. it seems to fit pretty loosely so I was just think I could get a tighter coupling like that UNI one.

It should fit fine to the turbo. It would be a shame to have to spend 200.00 or so more dollars for yet another relocate kit.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Hairspray for a seal
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Would that keep it from sliding?
It should fit fine to the turbo. It would be a shame to have to spend 200.00 or so more dollars for yet another relocate kit.

I have had that installed since I put the k04 on a few years ago. It just started doing this lately.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
It too forever, but I think I got it back on well enough to hold until I get a different coupler. I noticed even after I washed the coupler that it still felt slimy, kind of. I made sure everything was clean, but I just might get 34 dollarcoupler from uni. Is the turbo inlet 2.25?

FriggenT1

Banned
It too forever, but I think I got it back on well enough to hold until I get a different coupler. I noticed even after I washed the coupler that it still felt slimy, kind of. I made sure everything was clean, but I just might get 34 dollarcoupler from uni. Is the turbo inlet 2.25?

It shouldn't feel slimy after you cleaned it with some kind of degreaser and then alcohol. Yes, hair spray works, namely the aquanet super hold. After it dries and heat gets to it, it turns into a glue sort of. As I said though...if oil is getting to it and that's why it's feeling slimy, there may be other issues. Uni makes great stuff don't get me wrong, but silicone is silicone, and it's not going to matter who it's made by. If it just suddenly started coming off, there could be an other issue.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
It shouldn't feel slimy after you cleaned it with some kind of degreaser and then alcohol. Yes, hair spray works, namely the aquanet super hold. After it dries and heat gets to it, it turns into a glue sort of. As I said though...if oil is getting to it and that's why it's feeling slimy, there may be other issues. Uni makes great stuff don't get me wrong, but silicone is silicone, and it's not going to matter who it's made by. If it just suddenly started coming off, there could be an other issue.

I degreased it and the turbo inlet itself and removed all the residual oil that is around from the tube, as well as using rubbing alcohol on everything to make sure it was clean. After using the alcohol and using the hair spray, I got it to stay on and the clamp from slipping off.

This started happening after I got all my engine mounts upgraded and there was significantly more vibration. Also, the top part of the silicone coupler is squished up against the metal coolant lines, so when I put the intake pipe in it pulls the coupler back at an angle. This combined with the vibration and a bit of oil, is probably what is causing the problem. That's why I figured using the silicone with the same size on both ends, wil keep it from being pressed against the coolant lines and pushing the coupler off.

I am thinking that the uni coupler won't hit the lines....

After really examining everything, I think that shop that installed the K04 and tune might have installed the turbo and manifold a little misaligned as this shouldn't be up against it like that.

Last edited: