GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Legal options for GTI water pump coverage

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I would be happy that VW is covering the cost of the pump and you are only paying for labor. Simple fact is that you are out of warranty.

In my experience with other companies as soon a laywer comes into play all contact with the customer is cut and it goes to the lawyers of VW. The lawyers will show the facts and your case will get thrown out simply because you are out of any warranty you had.

I say accept them doing a goodwill replacement of the parts cost.
OR
Read the threads and do it yourself.

However, and a big, however, is that VW is well aware of their problem and have yet to do anything positive to fix it...if its poor craftsmanship at a dealer installing wrong than it should be covered for X period of years after the install as its a fresh part that they know they have issues with on numerous revisions of the part...

Meaning they should take care of a loyal customer who is being hosed a little out of warranty but a leg of their enterprise (dealership) for a common issue that they continue to put a bandaid on rather than fix the problem, same goes with the tensioner

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Legally speaking, I know everyone is looking for a recall on the water pump failing. Especially those unfortunate enough to have it fail out of warranty. However, unless this is a safety concern, they'll likely never recall the part.

Svickstc,

Ethically, I think VW is doing the right thing in most cases, because they really don't have to cover anything. For full coverage, one will need to do more calling and/or letter writing. As others have said, persistence and perseverance is the key to success when working out of warranty.

Last edited:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I don't know what you've said to VWoA yet; but have you stressed to them the fact that this is your second failure in 13 months? That's the key sticking point you need to hit on:

-your car is still within the 5 year warranty period of the drivetrain even though it is over on mileage.
-Within 13 months, you've now had 2 failures of the same part.

Everyone is correct that technically they don't have to do anything; but technicalities do not make for repeat customers. VW knows this, and knows that they can make it better than they are; they are just betting on you not bothering to push it.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Legally speaking, I know everyone is looking for a recall on the water pump failing. Especially those unfortunate enough to have it fail out of warranty. However, unless this is a safety concern, they'll likely never recall the part.

Just look at the N54 platform. Same issue and much much more difficult to change. This has been going on since the N54 was released and there has been no form of a waterpump recall.

No recall will ever happen. VW will continue to goodwill when needed and wait it out till every car is out of warranty.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Just look at the N54 platform. Same issue and much much more difficult to change. This has been going on since the N54 was released and there has been no form of a waterpump recall.

No recall will ever happen. VW will continue to goodwill when needed and wait it out till every car is out of warranty.

Pretty much.

Fingolfin

Ready to race!
Only thing I might say you want to pursue is find out if the dealer used the latest part revision at the last replacement. You would probably need to find the release dates though which may be difficult as a consumer.

My water pump went out recently and the dealer was going to put the same one back in, because it's what they had in stock. I insisted they order the latest revision.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Only thing I might say you want to pursue is find out if the dealer used the latest part revision at the last replacement. You would probably need to find the release dates though which may be difficult as a consumer.

My water pump went out recently and the dealer was going to put the same one back in, because it's what they had in stock. I insisted they order the latest revision.

Report them to VWoA. That's a huge no, no.

SyDiko

Ready to race!

So in another 5-10k miles you'd have the same problem, but now potentially out of warranty? Uh, no!

zrickety

The Fixer
OP, you are out of warranty. They offered to help with the cost of the part, you're lucky to get that. Personally, I would learn to DIY for $300 or take it to a good mechanic...NOT the dealer. They are good at screwing up warranty work, why would this be any different?? Do you know the definition of insanity?

havoc531

As of 8/6 there is a service action on the faulty water pump. I'm told if you've paid for recall work in the year before it was issued, you can be reimbursed. Here is the email I wrote back to my case manager.

Sara,

In August we corresponded about case # 150444973 regarding a 2011 GTI water pump. For the second time my water pump needed replacing; the first replacement was done under warranty on 5/19/2014 (a water pump part 06J121026BB) and the more recent failure cost me $541.34 out of warranty. The work was done on June 16-18 at Liberty Auto Plaza. This same known issue is now a service campaign. Reference VW Action Code 19K5 and attachments: service bill, vehicle history, and VW service campaign printout. Please issue a refund of the $541.34. If there are questions I am available by email or mobile phone.

havoc531

havoc531

Thought I'd give an update for those who may be interested.
I called in on Friday and opened a new case number. This is the email I provided for the new case:

This is regarding case 123456 seeking a refund for repairs out of warranty, which are now covered under a recall. Details below.

In August I opened case # 12345 regarding a 2011 GTI water pump. For the second time my water pump needed replacing; the first replacement was done under warranty on 5/19/2014 (a water pump part 06J121026BB) and the more recent failure cost me $541.34 out of warranty (out of warranty less than thirty days). The work was done on June 16-18 at Liberty Auto Plaza. This same known issue is now a service campaign. Reference VW Action Code 19K5 and attachments: service bill, vehicle history, and VW service campaign printout. Please issue a refund of the $541.34. If there are questions I am available by email or batphone.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Are they not replying to you?
Email Michael.horn@vw.com

You'll get a phone call first thing tomorrow morning.
(make sure to include your phone number in the email.)

havoc531

Steemax, thanks for the tip. VWoA did respond to my new case number and after two weeks sent me a refund check for the cost of the repairs. All I can say is I'm glad I did not back down--saved me $541!

On to the next service campaign... I hear there's something about the airbags failing to deploy now?

gavinfla

I'm out of warranty, so I'm up a creek with out a paddle, if there is no recall there is nothing I can do about it but except wine to them. I hope it works! All I got now is 12 months warranty on the work they've done. After that, all the money they will get from me is the price of parts.