GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SkullV's K04 Tiguan and Other Car Adventures

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Getting into this Tig a little more than I thought I would so I figured I would get a build thread together in case anyone else is interested in going the performance route with their 4Motion Tiguan. My goal for this build is almost exclusively performance.

Vehicle:

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4Motion Purchased 6/28/12:

Modification History:

7/9/12

APR Stage 1:

Got this a couple weeks after trading in my APR Stage 2 MK6 GTI on this Tiguan. Performance was much better, but still quite a bit slower than the Stage 2 MK6 GTI. Obviously this had everything to do with weight, the standard tiptronic AT, and the 4Motion system. Needless to say, I needed more out of the vehicle to be happy.

7/30/12

Since the entire reason for trading in the GTI was to pull my pair of Yamaha VX Cruiser 1100 Wave Runners (2000lbs w/trailer) I obviously needed a hitch. Purchased and installed the following:

• Curt 56200 PWM-ST Power Converter with Circuit Protection

• Draw-Tite 75658 Hitch for VW Tiguan

Installing the wiring kit may not have been as simple as the VW module, but I get absolutely no bulb out errors, no flickering, and everything works perfectly.

8/1/12

APR K04 Installed

Since I was wanting more out of my Tiguan and I was offered the price of $2500 installed, I went ahead and placed an order for my APR K04 kit. I chose at that point to run it with the OEM intake and downpipe to be 100% stealthy. Even most of the techs at the dealership couldn't tell that there had been a turbo swap done.

At this point I also added a K&N drop in filter and removed the deflector grate in the bottom of the air box.

With the K04 the Tig really moves. Coming from a past of 500whp+ vehicles though I still wanted more. This was a challenge considering my quest to keep things looking 100% OEM. I started running the APR 100oct file with Torco 100oct Race Fuel ($120 at every fill up!). This filled the gap I was feeling for the most part, but I still wanted more. That brings us to today.

Last edited:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
As of today I have the following parts waiting for install:

• Techtonics Tuning Single Cat Downpipe

This will allow me to run the full K04 software without any OEM downpipe restrictions. Even though I have been running 100oct this new file/downpipe should decrease spool time exponentially and also increase HP/TQ significantly. Of course, I'll still likely run 100oct almost exclusively.

• Steve Petty Motorsports Front Mount Intercooler

This is an excellent quality new intercooler in the marketplace. It features a 100% OEM fitment and an enormous Bar and Plate core with tig welded cast aluminum end tanks. It has an extremely dense internal fin structure and should be on par if not better than APRs FMIC. Even though it is late in the season and things are cooling down, this intercooler should allow things to flow a bit better and prevent heat soak. That will decrease spool time, increase throttle response, and prevent any loss of power.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
WARNING: THIS VEHICLE IS OWNED BY A LAWYER.

When are the bags going on? :D

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
WARNING: THIS VEHICLE IS OWNED BY A LAWYER.

An almost lawyer...ha. No bags. If I ever do any suspension stuff it will be KW v3 coilOVERS (can't stand when people call them "coils").

For now my only chassis/brake plans are to swap out the brakes for OEM GTI brakes and get the subframe shim kit from HStuning.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I have the A3/GTI front brakes for sale. $250

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
That's a hell of a build you have going...my question is, after even stage 1, how did the Tiptronic act? I have a 2010.5 Tiguan and was thinking about going to stage 1 but I'm afraid the Tiptronic will have hiccups in trying to put the power out. So upset the Tiguan doesn't have the Euro only DSG :(

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
That's a hell of a build you have going...my question is, after even stage 1, how did the Tiptronic act? I have a 2010.5 Tiguan and was thinking about going to stage 1 but I'm afraid the Tiptronic will have hiccups in trying to put the power out. So upset the Tiguan doesn't have the Euro only DSG :(

Not a single problem. I actually like the Tiptronic 100x more than the DSG for street driving (even "spirited"). On a track I would feel differently I'm sure.

It is handling the K04 just fine as well. I have a couple dyno runs scheduled for later this month, so I'm sure we'll be able to see if there are any torque convertor/trans issues on the dyno graph.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Sweet car mang. When you getting coils?

Well, being that the vehicle already has them, I don't think any replacements will be necessary. :iono: