GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stereo & Nav

8luglogic

Aftermarket stereo nav units ... Who makes the best and which ones will work in the mk6 ? I just purchased my first VW , 2012 Golf TDI Highline 6spd man , but no nav:( . Dealer wants 2400 for a 310 unit . I think I could get a top of the line Kenwood or Pioneer unit plus better speakers & sub for that kind of cash . Any thoughts or helpfull info ??? I'm a VW noob here just looking for info .

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Aftermarket stereo nav units ... Who makes the best and which ones will work in the mk6 ? I just purchased my first VW , 2012 Golf TDI Highline 6spd man , but no nav:( . Dealer wants 2400 for a 310 unit . I think I could get a top of the line Kenwood or Pioneer unit plus better speakers & sub for that kind of cash . Any thoughts or helpfull info ??? I'm a VW noob here just looking for info .

Wrong section. If anything, pick up a used nav unit on here. 315s usually run $600 and 510s around 1k.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion

i just did the Pioneer 8400 with the advanced app cable for mine. If you dont need all the features, you could always do the plug and play units. Advent one is about 880 if you want me to get you one, i have a few for sale in my for sale thread that carry a 3 year warranty for 1075. Literally a 20 minute install for a novice.

8luglogic

i just did the Pioneer 8400 with the advanced app cable for mine. If you dont need all the features, you could always do the plug and play units. Advent one is about 880 if you want me to get you one, i have a few for sale in my for sale thread that carry a 3 year warranty for 1075. Literally a 20 minute install for a novice.

How do you like the Pioneer ? I have a Kenwood in my truck and love it but I do like the looks of Pioneer's display better . I was thinking of maybe going with JL Audio for speakers & amp . Not knowing what works & fits best in the MK6 is why I posted on here . Looking for helpfull info .

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The factory speakers are fine. Just add a sub. I would also keep it factory with either a 510 or a 315 nav. You get to see directions on the MFD and retain steering wheel controls etc.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What section then ????????????? BTW not looking to put some used junk in a new car .:rolleyes:

What are you talking about ... used junk?

8luglogic

What are you talking about ... used junk?

Are the VW 310 & 510 Nav units the only thing that can be installed ? I talked to a tech at a local stereo shop and he says that they can install a Kenwood unit that will function the same as the factory units . Is he full of sh#t ?? what are the issues if any ? Why is everyone sugesting to go with a used factory unit ? Like I mentioned in my first post I'm a noob to this Volkswagen stuff , just looking for info & details rather than biased opinions. Not looking to offend anyone .

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Are the VW 310 & 510 Nav units the only thing that can be installed ? I talked to a tech at a local stereo shop and he says that they can install a Kenwood unit that will function the same as the factory units . Is he full of sh#t ?? what are the issues if any ? Why is everyone sugesting to go with a used factory unit ? Like I mentioned in my first post I'm a noob to this Volkswagen stuff , just looking for info & details rather than biased opinions. Not looking to offend anyone .

I explained it to you already. With the factory unit you get to retain steering wheel controls, as well as Bluetooth, you also get directions on the MFD which is a GREAT feature.

When you go aftermarket you have to replace a lot of other things also.

But its your call, aftermarket units are less laggy than the factory unit. That's about the only upside.

8luglogic

I explained it to you already. With the factory unit you get to retain steering wheel controls, as well as Bluetooth, you also get directions on the MFD which is a GREAT feature.

When you go aftermarket you have to replace a lot of other things also.

But its your call, aftermarket units are less laggy than the factory unit. That's about the only upside.

So ... the MFD cannot function with aftermarket units like Kenwood ? I had a Kenwood DNX9980 with JL Audio speakers , subs & amps installed in my 2010 Dodge Ram pickup and it all functions fine with MFD , steering wheel controls , back-up cam , & rear seat video system . Just like factory only way better nav & sound quality ! Why don't the adaptor components for aftermarket units work in a VW ?? The sound quality of the Kenwood/JL Audio system in my truck is far superior to the existing factory setup in my Golf .

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So ... the MFD cannot function with aftermarket units like Kenwood ? I had a Kenwood DNX9980 with JL Audio speakers , subs & amps installed in my 2010 Dodge Ram pickup and it all functions fine with MFD , steering wheel controls , back-up cam , & rear seat video system . Just like factory only way better nav & sound quality ! Why don't the adaptor components for aftermarket units work in a VW ?? The sound quality of the Kenwood/JL Audio system in my truck is far superior to the existing factory setup in my Golf .

Well if you want to replace speakers its a bit of a pain... the door panels are not super easy to remove, and the speakers are riveted in... yes RIVETED.

You can go this route, but there is nothing that will be as integrated as this...

I believe you have to buy some specific aftermarket adapter to make sure the steering wheel controls are retained.

Last edited:

8luglogic

Well if you want to replace speakers its a bit of a pain... the door panels are not super easy to remove, and the speakers are riveted in... yes RIVETED.

You can go this route, but there is nothing that will be as integrated as is...

I believe you have to buy some specific aftermarket adapter to make sure the steering wheel controls are retained.

Thanks for the help:thumbsup: