GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have a Haldex controller on their R yet?

ian dummy

Ready to race!
Just got home from Canuckistan and hanging out for the day with the guys at HPA.

Now for my review...

Firstly, I just have to say Marcel, Darryl, Kier, and the rest of the guys at HPA are some of the nicest guys I've ever dealt with (and I don't think it's just cause they're Canadian :) ). When I got to the shop, the first thing Marcel did was take me through the entire shop and introduce me to everyone there while giving me a full tour of the place, showing me all the projects they are currently working on as well as the finished ones they have around (i'll post up pics a bit later).

As you can see above, we ran a pre Haldex controller install dyno (actually 3), then did the install of the controller and the HPA 75 durometer dog bone insert and ran 9 more runs (3 each of the Eco, Stock, and Race settings). It was cool as hell because a couple of the Canadian guys off the Vortex stopped through to see the R as well as one of the guys from HPA who had the day off. I even got stopped in a parking lot while out getting lunch by a couple guys who were blown away they were seeing an R in the flesh (all the Canadian Rs are still in port waiting to be released).

I shot video of the after install runs (2 and 3 angles-2 GoPro angles and some from my iPhone). I will get it ripped in and uploaded in the next day or so.

On the drive home from Canada to Seattle I didn't get the same gas mileage as on the drive up (I averaged 25.9 on the drive up and 24.6 on the drive back), but I was having WAY too much fun getting on the gas passing people. The combination of the upgraded Haldex and the stiffer dog bone insert really improved the feeling of connection with the road. The butt dyno also confirmed what the real dyno told us already: the power comes on harder, earlier, and totally transforms the feeling of the car.

100% worth doing this mod, even if you're not tracking the car.

I can't wait till the guys at HPA get their down pipe done and I can drive back up and get it installed. I think I'll be going nuts and doing a lot of driving back and forth to Canada in the coming months.

bludool

Passed Driver's Ed
So.... If my math is correct, a 15% torque loss and a 18% hp loss from Crank to wheels. This is pretty effecient.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
Ian,

Thanks for making your way North!

Was a great opportunity to showcase the OEM Haldex performance vs the Upgraded controller. The gen 4 from factory is a huge leap forward as the dyno captures will show, but the improvements make this platform a true contender!

Looking forward to sneaking our big DP onto your car when watchful eyes are looking elsewhere :)

APR Stage 1 Wheel and then Crank

OEM Gen 4 controller

Upgrade controller. nearly 27crank HP pushed onto the rear wheels under load in low RPM….how does she feel???

Very nice results. This only makes me want a Golf R even more! :thumbsup:

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
it allows for switching between stock, RACE, and ECO modes. RACE mode is a faster reaction and allows for greater rear-wheel bias of the AWD system while the ECO mode basically turns your R into a FWD car until it detects slippage and then engages AWD so you can get higher MPG when commuting/freeway driving.

you can read more about it here

I have the competition controller. No switching modes no nothing... just 100% Haldex ha ha. I do not notice it much unless I am turning too sharp or going to fast around a corner... ha ha ha it is NICE! it is a 20 minute install you could do in your driveway if you have jacks. right there on the rear diff, drivers side I believe.

Mark's R

Got the Comp controller as well and in daily driving if you like to play a bit, you sure can tell the difference over stock. Bottom line - under hard acceleration either straight line or corner - the car almost feels like it's rwd which is a vehicle dynamic I want in an awd car. It did not feel that way before the install. Otherwise in normal driving, it's....well.....normal. Love this mod, best money spent yet. Can't wait for the track in the spring to really test it out.

Chaos Theory

Passed Driver's Ed
How on earth? Didn't think you could get them here.

http://m.autoblog.com/2010/02/19/want-a-550-hp-awd-volkswagen-scirocco-save-up-150k-and-move-to/

http://www.cardriven.ca/2010/02/you-can-buy-a-vw-scirocco-in-canada-now/

http://www.carthrottle.com/a-canadian-550-hp-awd-volkswagen-scirocco-eh/

I'm sure there is more information to be had, but yes - we have the Scirocco here ;)

Looking forward to having your R at the company. I will load it onto the Superflow and run it pre Haldex and Post Haldex to capture the behavior under road load acceleration.

I'd love to discuss with you guys about 'HPA'ing my R in future ;) great excuse for a road trip!

Cheers!

Last edited:

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
Got the Comp controller as well and in daily driving if you like to play a bit, you sure can tell the difference over stock. Bottom line - under hard acceleration either straight line or corner - the car almost feels like it's rwd which is a vehicle dynamic I want in an awd car. It did not feel that way before the install. Otherwise in normal driving, it's....well.....normal. Love this mod, best money spent yet. Can't wait for the track in the spring to really test it out.

I agree with you. No more of the shitty oversteer. I am eager to see the difference on a track. I am yet to take my car to an AX track. Or a drap strip for that matter. The back roads here in Oregon are holding me over just fine though :p

krische

vdubber in training
I agree with you. No more of the shitty oversteer. I am eager to see the difference on a track. I am yet to take my car to an AX track. Or a drap strip for that matter. The back roads here in Oregon are holding me over just fine though :p

You mean under steer?