GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying used...what to be aware of and look for?

CleanAF

Hey all, new to the forum but I'm in the market for a new car and I'm going GTI. I read a ton of the existing threads on pricing and how to buy wisely, what I'm looking for is specific feedback on what the general senses is on the best year either 2010 2011 or 2012 for the MK6 4 door.
I'm test driving and talking prices this weekend with a couple different dealerships to find the best deal out there but I'm undecided as to the model year to go for. My personal preference is a 2012 four-door sunroof with low KMs and I'm finding those around 19k sticker price.

Any thoughts, opinions or feedback are appreciated!

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
bought my 2011 a year ago with 24k mi on it for 19,000 usd.

pull the VIN when you go and call VW to see about intake manifold recalls, injector recalls, and see if the second DV version was standard on the car. if so then ask the dealer to replace them after you grab whatever one you grab.

oh, and buy a new set of r* coil packs for good measure, you'll want a tune, and then you'll need to replace the packs shortly after.. it just happens that way.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I bought my 2012 4dr 6MT in August for $18K with 37,000 miles.

I stage 1 Tuned at 42000 and my clutch slipped almost immediately. I did a a Stage 3 Drop in Disk and the Car pulls like hell now.

The water pump went at 58,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. I believe this was a seal problem resulting from oil spray (defective aftermarket oil filter) rather than a true pump failure.

The tune is a must.....car is a little beast ....rather than just nimble (stock)...

I love the car....you can check out my build thread for more details on what I have done to it.....its not alot because I don't feel it needs alot....

Best of luck...

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
I bought my 2012 4dr 6MT in August for $18K with 37,000 miles.

I stage 1 Tuned at 42000 and my clutch slipped almost immediately. I did a a Stage 3 Drop in Disk and the Car pulls like hell now.

The water pump went at 58,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. I believe this was a seal problem resulting from oil spray (defective aftermarket oil filter) rather than a true pump failure.

The tune is a must.....car is a little beast ....rather than just nimble (stock)...

I love the car....you can check out my build thread for more details on what I have done to it.....its not alot because I don't feel it needs alot....

Best of luck...

Was the clutch in decent shape before hand, I thought it was the R's that had clutch slippage after tunes

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Was the clutch in decent shape before hand, I thought it was the R's that had clutch slippage after tunes

It's hit or miss.....I feel it was a VW sourcing issue, as to why some cars have no issues with the extra Stage 1 power and others (like me :cry: do)

I opted for the drop in at the suggestion of Hyde16....and it turned out to be great advice for me. My installer said that my pressure Plate and Flywheel looked like new once they cleaned them up. For those people who experienced slippage and still hooned, I think that the drop in would be very unwise...as it is made of very agressive material and would likely chew the shit out of already abused components....

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
Im dsg sooo...

no worries here lol

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Im dsg sooo...

no worries here lol

Yeah...while I was slipping I was kicking myself for not going that route....now that it holds the powah doe, I am happy with the 3rd pedal....

Scootie

Ready to race!
Bought mine almost 3 weeks ago, i'd say go for a new exhaust system which sounds more, the car is so silent it's pathetic :p

CleanAF

Thanks guys for the feedback.
I'm looking at a 2011 4dr with 85kms sticker price is 19.5 I have test drove both models and to my surprise kind of enjoying the DSG option. Still prefer a 2012 but theres not much to pick from.

CleanAF

Im dsg sooo...

no worries here lol

Give me feedback pls lol I'm right in the middle of deciding stick or auto and I'm deadlocked. I come from manuals and banging gears etc but the DSG is convienant as fuck! I'm hesitant of DSG because of the service costs accompanied with it.

I've found one with double the miles same year and they are asking 19.5! DSG 4dr and no mods, I wanna talk them down to 17-18g, is that fair to assume it should be cheaper a year later?

CleanAF

pull the VIN when you go and call VW to see about intake manifold recalls, injector recalls, and see if the second DV version was standard on the car. if so then ask the dealer to replace them after you grab whatever one you grab.

oh, and buy a new set of r* coil packs for good measure, you'll want a tune, and then you'll need to replace the packs shortly after.. it just happens that way.

What's wrong with the DV? And which one do I want installed? Thanks for the heads up on the coil packs.

zrickety

The Fixer
Buy the most stock looking one you can find unless you know the tuner.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
It's hit or miss.....I feel it was a VW sourcing issue, as to why some cars have no issues with the extra Stage 1 power and others (like me :cry: do)

I opted for the drop in at the suggestion of Hyde16....and it turned out to be great advice for me. My installer said that my pressure Plate and Flywheel looked like new once they cleaned them up. For those people who experienced slippage and still hooned, I think that the drop in would be very unwise...as it is made of very agressive material and would likely chew the shit out of already abused components....

Nice!