GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Tuning Dogbone Mount insert VS. HPA Core Interlock Mount- REVIEW

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I bought my Golf R back in November of 2013 with 15k miles on it. Like every noob, went for the easy, cheap mods that promised a big change. The Dogbone insert was $33 and was an easy mod that my friends told me made a huge difference. They were right. It was easy, cheap, made the car have more NVH and feel like a racecar. Shifts were tighter, etc.
622573_x800.jpg

Fast forward to 2015. 40k miles. By now the car has a lot more mods done, I am UM Stage 2 Loaded at 28 PSI and by many dynos from people that should be good for 330 WHP and 400 WTQ. That is alot more power and torque at the crank than stock.

I started noticing at WOT shifts were vague and i would miss 3rd. The car felt sloppy and i was convinced the motor and trans mount had failed. I was looking at BFI mounts, 034, SPM, etc. I decided to give the HPA core interlock a chance because they were having a sale. It still came to $154 shipped and took over a week and a half to get to me. It is a lot of money for some CNC aluminum baked into some polyurethane.
0903151656.jpg
0903151657.jpg

I put the car on jack stands, crawled under removed the dog bone, and the fun began. It took me literally hours to remove the stock mount. Not only was the ECS insert completely shot and crumbled, but it was filling the voids where i need to get my shears in to cut out the stock rubber mount. The job took me way longer than it should have.
0903151800.jpg
0903152055.jpg
0903152130.jpg
0903152130a.jpg
0903152130b.jpg

I finally got it all out, cleaned up the hole. I rubbed some soapy water on the HPA and got it snugged in by hand. Then i used a jack to finish it in. After the stock mount was out it took me all of 5 minutes to get the HPA in.
0903152107a.jpg
0903152107.jpg

After everything was torqued and belly pan back on I started up the car.

-First thing i noticed was how smooth idle was. It was smoother than stock mount+insert!
-Reverse was smoother. Barely any NVH
-Took it out on the highway. Everything was solid and smooth
-Ripped it and 3rd gear was right where it should be.
-Feels like more power to the ground.

ECS
-88A durometer Polyurethane
-Cheap
-Easy
-Added NVH
-Made future install of other mounts a horrible mess
-Fell apart and failed in under 2 years

HPA
-75A durometer Polyurethane
-Expensive
-Easy to install once stock mount is out
-Barely any NVH over stock, almost smoother feeling
-Smooth, tight, perfect feel
-Longevity is TBD

I am hoping the HPA mount holds up better than the insert since they are both poly. Also now knowing how smooth it is i almost wish i had gotten one of the stiffer HPA ones. I was worried about NVH and there is none. Very happy with the HPA mount.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Do you also have transmission and engine mounts changed? Just wondering.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

goncalo71

Did you consider the 034MotorSports billet aluminum insert? Just curious since that one is a solid piece of aluminum.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Did you consider the 034MotorSports billet aluminum insert? Just curious since that one is a solid piece of aluminum.
I think this review was before that came out.