GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hijinx

Passed Driver's Ed
ChiChat16: Baumy Makes Desperate Attempt At Thread Title - Forum Revolts

So many of you seem like business professionals on here that I was hoping that I might be able to get a bit of help and advice with college stuff. I'm going to be going for Industrial Engineering. I am 38. I did atrocious in high school, but it was honestly because I actually put effort into not doing the work. I had a really messed up and unsafe situation at home.

Math and Science have always just come easy to me. I feel like I have a firm grasp on English as far as vocabulary goes, but I tend to just freeze when it comes to writing an essay. I overanalyze everything. My thoughts don't seem to easily translate into words, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure if part of the issue might just be my personality type... INTJ. I worry about my ability to complete the necessary English requirements because of this. If any of you possibly have any advice or suggested resources to help me overcome this issue it would be so appreciated.

Thank you,
Christopher

31 y/o, sophomore business student here. Also an introvert (INFP). Anyway, I have a natural ability for English and Literature, but I hate them, so I’m in Accounting because it’s like playing with puzzle pieces. Anyway, as far as papers go, the best resource I can provide you is a book - They Say I Say written by Cathy Berkenstein and Gerald Graff. It’s a more of a step by step guide on writing effective and thought provoking essays. Really easy to follow.

As far as advice goes, just bang it out... Write/type everything out that you can to get your thoughts out of your head and then organize it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
DSG vs MT debate? ....whats to debate DSG is faster but manual is more fun. Common ground is to drive DSG in Manual mode :iono:

Im all for PDK Porsches honestly.

Hijinx

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone ADHD like me?

Hijinx

Passed Driver's Ed

i used to think i had adhd but then what did everyone get for lunch?

Oh, it’s already afternoon. I guess I am kind of hungry. Was too busy hyper-focusing to eat...or go to the bathroom. Anyway, have you seen that thing I was looking for two weeks ago? I forgot why I was looking for it.

Side note: I keep an agenda for school and time myself on homework. I’d be screwed, otherwise. I have my ADHD under pretty good control without meds, but my life is a constant replay of walking into a room and forgetting why I went there in the first place. I often return empty handed without a clue or with something other than what I went for.

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I will be going for a 4 year degree with zero credits right now. I plan on finishing faster than that though. I will start out this spring semester at normal pace while my son is still living at home because I don’t want to sacrifice any more of the little time that I have left with him. After that I will probably double-up on classes. They also offer masters programs, so who knows...
I’m really looking forward to college. Aside from writing reports I see myself doing quite well. I just feel extremely out of my depth as far as that goes. If they are not timed, I can just work harder and longer to compensate. It’s just the timed ones that I am really freaking out about. That isn’t how my brain tends to work. I took my math placement tests yesterday and was honestly quite impressed with how I did, considering it has been 20 years since I have been in school.
Luckily my son is fantastic in English. Honestly, his only weakness is history. I plan on getting help/tutoring from him. It is just a bit difficult because since everything is relative, things that he doesn’t even have to think about are a major struggle for me just because I am wired differently.

Went back to school when I was 27 and earned a degree in Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. My oldest son graduated with a degree in Biological Engineering, and my youngest son is a junior studying Chemical Engineering. The point I’m trying to make is the School of Engineering hasn’t changed. You need to worry less about your writing skills and focus on math, Math, and more MATH. You have to be proficient in math in order to master the science side. The most important thing to remember is to not overwhelm yourself with to many difficult classes in one semester. I can promise that you will fall behind in all of your classes and will crash and burn. If you do feel that you're falling behind in your studies swallow your pride and ask for help as soon as possible. Also find yourself a good study group - it takes to much time to learn how to solve problems by yourself. Last thing is practice over and over the equations - two hour exams seem to just fly by when you're not totality prepared.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the advice, and the insight. It is very much appreciated.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Not a fan of Christmas tbh.

Phur

Autocross Champion

I hate Christmas! The entire holiday season is total bullshit. IMO Everybody acts like you have to be a little nicer...[emoji848] how about just don’t be a total asshole the other 10 months of the year?!? I don’t understand why people need a special reason to not be dicks...

clownish

just clowning around
Agreed. I never grew up celebrating all the trappings of xmas but as Ive gotten older my family has started to want to do more and more. Like.... we never did before.... why do you expect it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.