GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL on start up/limp mode

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thursday night I turned my car off for about 30 mins, and when I fired it back up I got a CEL. Started fine and at the time it seemed to drive normal. After a few miles of driving easy I decided to get on it a little and sure enough it was in limp mode. 0psi boost and wouldn't rev to 4k rpm so I dropped it off at the dealer after hours. The next day they called and said Low Fuel Pressure sensor was the cause and I'll have it back on Tuesday when the parts come in.

I'm sure warranty will cover it (otherwise I'd never just drop the car off) but has anyone else had this problem?

On a side note I still ordered Stage 2 BFI mounts, hopefully I have the car and parts this week to try them out. Until then I'm spoiled saving tons of fuel money driving my dads mk4 TDI to work:thumbsup:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Still don't have the car back...sensor didn't help so they ordered a fuel pump. On the bright side I'm racking up miles on their '12 TDI

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Happened to me a month ago. Dealer replaced pump under warranty no questions asked. Honestly, it's a common problem, and dealers are not surprised lol.

serge1

Ready to race!
It just happened to me...

Today, I drove back from northern Spain to southern Germany (650 miles) in limp mode. It all happened suddenly and without notice while cruising at 80 mph... as soon as the engine light came on, I couldn't rev past 3,600rpms and boost went awol, but at least I made it. Also, gas mileage drops significantly in limp mode, around 22-24 mpg at 75 mph.

My GTI is only Stage-1, I hope the dealer won't give me any hard times. By the way, what is the common cause for GTI's limp mode, fuel pump pressure failure?

Last edited:

serge1

Ready to race!
I forgot...

On top of that, I can't select any of the different APR settings using the cruise control switch. I get a solid engine light, no blinking... :confused: