GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI Twincharger (160) Stage 1 / 2

Shadowcat

Hi, greetings from Singapore. I enjoyed reading the thread as I'm on the search for a stg1 upgrade. I had my mind on APR for now and those that are running APR stg1 here in SG have not mentioned anything about misfiring issues. I wonder of there has been any upgrade to the APR map eversince you had yours done.

mataempat

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on APR latest map v2.2. The only thing went south on mine was the DSG clutch that had to be changed some 50000km ago due to slippage. I am also using different spark plugs, NGK BKR7EIX. No problem so far. I'm at 158787km on the odo this morning.

Shadowcat

I'm on APR latest map v2.2. The only thing went south on mine was the DSG clutch that had to be changed some 50000km ago due to slippage. I am also using different spark plugs, NGK BKR7EIX. No problem so far. I'm at 158787km on the odo this morning.

Thanx bro for the reply. What's the torque number you are producing? I read about the 7-speed DSG has a max torque rating of 250nm.

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone in here changed mounts for the transmission and engine?

I changed the left mount and I'm researching whether to go back with oem or updated for the dog-bone/rear mount. Or should I just replace the bushings for this dog bone mount and keep the oem dog bone?

blower

Ready to race!
Anyone in here changed mounts for the transmission and engine?

I changed the left mount and I'm researching whether to go back with oem or updated for the dog-bone/rear mount. Or should I just replace the bushings for this dog bone mount and keep the oem dog bone?

I renewed the lower transmission mount with a new oem - made only a slight difference, old one wasn't that worn, there was a brand new subframe going for £50 on ebay, so couldn't resist to replace the whole lot at that price, new genuine mounts would have cost the same and would have needed a hydraulic press to install.

I am thinking of this insert for the lower transmission mount as its supposed to not increase NVH but greatly tighten up the shifts and reduce wheel hop : https://store.034motorsport.com/bil...agen-golf-jetta-gti-gli-8j-8p-audi-tt-a3.html

I would also like to fit a new OEM upper transmission mount, as that's definitely got some play to it.....but i believe that the most gain is in the lower transmission mount in the subframe - that's the one which 'gives' the most under acceleration and gear changes. I think replacing the bushings in the dogbone arm itself will gain you very little, if anything.

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
I renewed the lower transmission mount with a new oem - made only a slight difference, old one wasn't that worn, there was a brand new subframe going for £50 on ebay, so couldn't resist to replace the whole lot at that price, new genuine mounts would have cost the same and would have needed a hydraulic press to install.

I am thinking of this insert for the lower transmission mount as its supposed to not increase NVH but greatly tighten up the shifts and reduce wheel hop : https://store.034motorsport.com/bil...agen-golf-jetta-gti-gli-8j-8p-audi-tt-a3.html

I would also like to fit a new OEM upper transmission mount, as that's definitely got some play to it.....but i believe that the most gain is in the lower transmission mount in the subframe - that's the one which 'gives' the most under acceleration and gear changes. I think replacing the bushings in the dogbone arm itself will gain you very little, if anything.

Haven't seen any updates here in a while. I hope all is well.

I ended up changing the transmission mount and also replaced the pendulum mount and my vibration issues disappeared.

I have also since installed an autopolar fis+ and began measuring different things. I did not realize this car records misfires for the car's life! I was horrified to see these figures on each cylinder. I do not and have never felt any of these misfires. The car has no error codes and no dash lights and feels normal while driving.

These misfires occur seemingly randomly and usually after lifting odd the throttle in 3,4 or 5th gear at low speeds. I am due to change spark plugs as part of regular maintenance but these figures surely have been occurring from factory considering that the car is 4.5 years old. Compression test shows 140 psi across all cylinders.

Would this be due to valve carbon deposits?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
im so glad the US doesnt get the wacky tiny displacement engines most of the world gets. This twincharged 1.4 is interesting but the turbo 1.0L focus you guys get is crazy

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
im so glad the US doesnt get the wacky tiny displacement engines most of the world gets. This twincharged 1.4 is interesting but the turbo 1.0L focus you guys get is crazy

You do get tiny displacement engines now though. I would classify this 1.4 as wacky not because of the displacement but because of poor implementation.

The single turbo 1.4 engine that the us also gets has none of the reliability issues the twinchargers has. Nothing is inherently wrong with smaller displacement with turbo. That 1.0 litre turbo is nice.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
You do get tiny displacement engines now though. I would classify this 1.4 as wacky not because of the displacement but because of poor implementation.

The single turbo 1.4 engine that the us also gets has none of the reliability issues the twinchargers has. Nothing is inherently wrong with smaller displacement with turbo. That 1.0 litre turbo is nice.

We get a 1.4 vw engine in the US? Craziness. I thought the 1.8 was the smallest. I also heard that displacement is going to go back up because if the way emissions testing is being done.

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
We get a 1.4 vw engine in the US? Craziness. I thought the 1.8 was the smallest. I also heard that displacement is going to go back up because if the way emissions testing is being done.

Jetta facelift in the us has a 1.4t base option. So you choose either 1.4 or 1.8 turbo in the Jetta or 2.0t in the Jetta gli.

I read that article too but I don't see engines going up in size past 2.0T. I suspect they may move from 1-1.4 to 1.5-1.8t. Just my guess.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Jetta facelift in the us has a 1.4t base option. So you choose either 1.4 or 1.8 turbo in the Jetta or 2.0t in the Jetta gli.

I read that article too but I don't see engines going up in size past 2.0T. I suspect they may move from 1-1.4 to 1.5-1.8t. Just my guess.

Agreed.

beygan

Ready to race!
This is an awesome thread. Great work man! That is one fast Golf! I wonder if my GTI can hit under 6 seconds 0-60 after a tune... that's close to Porsche 996 Carrera territory!

Keep up the good work brother.

blower

Ready to race!
Haven't seen any updates here in a while. I hope all is well.

I ended up changing the transmission mount and also replaced the pendulum mount and my vibration issues disappeared.

I have also since installed an autopolar fis+ and began measuring different things. I did not realize this car records misfires for the car's life! I was horrified to see these figures on each cylinder. I do not and have never felt any of these misfires. The car has no error codes and no dash lights and feels normal while driving.

These misfires occur seemingly randomly and usually after lifting odd the throttle in 3,4 or 5th gear at low speeds. I am due to change spark plugs as part of regular maintenance but these figures surely have been occurring from factory considering that the car is 4.5 years old. Compression test shows 140 psi across all cylinders.

Would this be due to valve carbon deposits?

Yep all is well with the engine...forged piston rebuild running without issue. Still awaiting a custom remap to get all this hardware fully in tune - some life circumstances (money!) has put it in hold for a while.

With the misfires, on this engine it is normal to get the odd one randomly across cylinders as you are driving around. As you have spotted this will occur when you lift off the throttle - due to a bug with the ECU and misfire detection.

If you log the misfire detection channel with VCDS, you will see misfire detection is disabled whenever you lift off the throttle - however sometimes it doesn't disable it fast enough and a misfire is randomly detected. Nothing to worry about, my engine does the same.....although its far less likely to do it since the rebuild, perhaps the new timing chain has just shifted the timing back a tiny amount. Still I blame the ECU software, its obvious it's detecting false misfires due to a time delay before misfire detection is disabled when lifting off the throttle.

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to hear that the rebuild went well.

I saw your other thread on cleaning your valves. Wow @ the pics. I'm doing 78k miles right now so I'm mentally preparing to do the same cleaning.

I hope you are right about the misfire detection bug. It makes sense as the car drives normally and I would not expect that after thousands of real misfires. I guess the real issue would be successive misfires logged in a cylinder in a short space of time regardless of throttle input.

By the way have you done any suspension work?

norrisroyn

Hello, I have a 1.4TSI twincharged Golf Variant Model 2010 done 27,000 km. The timing chain tripped resulted in bent valves. I rebuild the engine by changing the valves, pistons (though they were okay), and the timing chain. However, immediately after rebuild, the Car started overfuelling. When I remove the dipstick, the oil smells petrol. There are also traces of petrol in the dark suit being emitted in the exhaust. Besides, the car fails to start at times but if I leave it for 10 minutes to an hour, it starts normally. But when it fails to start, I can press the accelerator while cranking and it starts. After the rebuild, I used the car for about a week and then the car started to show the red blinking Alladin's lamp and the check Engine. After that, we changed the oil and the problem was gone. That is the time we realized oil had mixed with petrol. Besides, the car is showing the following faults when scanned. 10 0 P000A "A" Camshaft Slow Response (Bank 1) Intermittent and the other one is Bank 1 intake too Rich (Cannot remember the exact code for this).
The compression is okay, Fuel pressure is also fine and I bought new spark plugs. What would be the problem? Kindly help me