GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yet another clutch master/slave cylinder question.

dosh27935

I've got an '06 that has a somewhat dead clutch pedal. Awhile back as I was coming up on a stop sign I pushed in on the clutch and when it got towards the bottom of the travel I felt something "pop." The pedal went to the floor and stayed there. Before that the clutch pedal felt great and I was shifting with no problem.

I limped the car home and screwed around with bleeding it. I got some air out of the line. The pedal is returning to the top of it's travel, but its soft and there's a delay like it's catching on something before it comes back up. I started off bleeding it by pumping the pedal. Today I bought a vacuum bleeder and bled it at the block. There's been no real improvement.

I see no leaks from the master cylinder. I pulled the starter and ran an inspection camera into the bell housing. I see the slave cylinder actuating with a fair amount of travel. I see no leaks and I see no fluid in the bottom of the bell housing or under the car. I don't seem to be losing brake fluid. I see no leaks in any of the lines.

If these were brakes I'd say the fluid is bypassing inside of the master cylinder. I'm not sure how many seals are inside the slave cylinder, or if the fluid could bypass there.

My next step is going to be pulling the master cylinder. I'm loathe to change it or the slave cylinder without knowing for sure which is the problem. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate your help.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk