GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I want to give everyone a heads up. We have seen several water pump failures on the new TSI motor. These failures are occurring on low mileage unmodified TSI's.

It sounds like a failing idler bearing but the sound is coming from the right side of the motor. If it's failing you will be able to hear it fairly easily. Although this is not a very technical explanation, it does sound like some sort of animal is in the engine.

To isolate the sound, you can take a long screw driver, place it on the pump housing and hold it to your ear similar to a stethoscope. To get the screwdriver to the pump, you can stick it though the right of the intake manifold between the runner flap actuator and the manifold.

The dealerships in our area have seen a lot of failures and had lots of new pumps in stock.

The pumps have been superseded by a new part number with a new bearing: 06H 121 026 AF

I'll do a photo 'DIY' diagnosis, removal and replacement on the next one we have in house. I'll update this thread if I find a TSB for the issue.

:thumbup:

FN in MT

Ready to race!
Nice to knoow that VW has addressed the issue with a hopefully better replacement.

I had a pump go out years back on a Porsche 928 and the replacement cost for the pump was horrific. Thought I was getting an airplane serviced for what a Dealer wanted for the repair.

FN in MT

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Maybe I'll hold off on the chip tune until my pump gets replaced.

Why? If its a known problem the dealer isnt even going to think about whether the car is "chipped".

MofoG23

Ready to race!
do we know what is wrong with the bearing? Is this something that could haunt someone who plans on keeping their car for 5-10 years (outside of warranty)?

For critical parts such as this, I wish they would just do a damn recall...

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Good to know, thanks Arin.

After my first experience with Byers VW in central Ohio (service advisor: Steve), I highly doubt I'd hear it from him. This guy should not be in front of (knowledgeable) customers. I don't normally point people out like this, but I feel this is a public service.

mk6 gti

Ready to race!
Mr. Clean....I couldn't agree with you more. Byers has some horrible service advisiors.