GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Melting Console?

MikeLyons27

Hello,

I have been a lurker on this site for years, and have learned quite alot from everyone here!

Anyway I have a question. Has anyone ran into an issue with their Console melting?
I noticed it this morning when I got out of the car. I can upload a pic later when I get home...
But on the center console - next to where my right knee is - I noticed that the texture from the console was smeared, and cracked. I pushed it with my finger and it was like really tacky and a part of it just slid off.
Has this happened to anyone before? I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant to a melting console...

I have had a lot of cosmetic issues with the car - and I am getting tired of this. First my sagging headliner - paint peeling off the hood - tearing of my seat upholstery, now a melting console! Of course none of this sorta thing is covered under warranty. And its hundreds of dollars in silly repairs for a car that I am still making payments on...

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
Yup happened to me. Ordered a new one and replaced it myself. Fairly easy to do. It has something to do with the shitty soft touch garbage they use, and oils from your skin, etc. Causes a breakdown of the plastic/rubber, and eventually dissolves. I got mine used off eBay for like $25.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I had to take my door card off for the first time in a couple years last weekend. The soft touch on the door is just destroyed. It has enough integrity to still hold itself in and if you don't look close enough it looks fine, but the soft touch is very soft now and breaks easily.

MikeLyons27

Thank you guys for the replies. This is really frustrating. I guess I will be going the ebay route and doing the repair. Attached are a few photos

Attachments

• IMG_3131.JPG
    IMG_3131.JPG
    401.8 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_3130.JPG
    IMG_3130.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 550