GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2 Concerns after Re-flash

rronan

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a Stage 2 APR re-flash done with a DP w /o cat back and now the car just runs ok. I did loose a bit of low end torque but at times it seem like it has no pull especially after the car heats up. The intake is still stock and the car does seem like its running a bit rich after the re-flash could not having the intake be the be the cause? I still have yet to get back to my APR dealer to have them check it out but as of now no CEL just some sputtering on sudden acceleration and some pops on deceleration. I do think that it might be possible that the DP may have a small exhaust leak where the upper DP meets the lower portion. Not sure if a leak could make the O2 sensors not read correctly or cause the popping on deceleration. Please Help!

Walter2

Ready to race!
Which downpipe did you go with? If you have a CBFA motor discursive have the third O2 bung?

Alex_GTi1

Passed Driver's Ed
APR my car had 2 O2 sensors

Have currently the exact same mods as you. Waiting for the APR Carbonio Stage 1+2 CAI.

Get the APR dealer maybe to run diagnostics to check if everything is fine. Right now with the stock intake feel though that the engine is struggling to "breath".

rronan

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey what do you mean by struggling? Is it possible that the APR stage 2 tune will not as well without the intake.

Jerz

Ready to race!
APR recommends you have a intake to go stage 2, also do you have a boost gauge. If so you might have a boost leak somewhere in the line.

rronan

Passed Driver's Ed
Below is a video of the issue while it is generating a CEL and EPC lights. After the CEL came on the car seems to go into a limp home mode basically felt like it was running on two cylinders. After I restarted the car it seemed to clear the limp home mode and I was somewhat back in business. I have not been able to reproduce the issue in stock mode only in 93 and 91 mode which is kinda disappointing. Also I just want to point out APR up to this point have been helpful and are suggesting that it may be a TSB relating to the throttle body harness becoming disconnected during engine acceleration. I found some hits on this in the MK5 forum but this would be the first I have heard of this on a MK6.

It get really interesting at the 54 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpLrYpxwF38

MKV posting with perhaps the same issue.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107058

zeonic

mmm.... beer
intake will def help the car breath better and make more power. the stock air box may not be able to provide the air supply that the engine is requesting and that could be why your running rich. although our cars are known for running rich, thats why there is always soot on your exhaust pipes.

losing power after the car has been driving for a while is normal, its just heat soak. basically the charge piping, intercooler and ther rest of the tubing, has heated up too much and is no longer able to dissipate heat efficiently so your engine has to adjust to the hotter air coming in. so the engine will retard timing and you loose some power to avoid pre-detonation in the cylinders. new more efficient intercooler will help you keep your power longer.

get the intake and try again.

Alex_GTi1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey what do you mean by struggling? Is it possible that the APR stage 2 tune will not as well without the intake.

Yeah exactly. Zeonic mentioned it as well, so think that the intake might be the cause or at least contributing to it.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
The intake should help that low end, at least from what I can understand- give it a shot and let us know. I am wanting to get a dp soon

rronan

Passed Driver's Ed
So everyone is saying that an intake will help correct the CEL and EPC light from coming on during acceleration? This will also help the car from going into LIMP home mode. I just dont want to spend another dime on perf parts and complicate the situation any more. Im taking the car back to the VW dealer tomorrow to have them read the code any advice? The VW dealer is also a APR dealer but they did not install the DP do you think that they will freak out?

rronan

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the car VAG'd today and it revealed that cylinder two was misfiring. The cause is kind of undetermined still but it looks like a possible coil pack issue. The number 2 coil pack was swapped with number 1 and the issue mysteriously disappeared. Not sure if it was the act of reseating the coil corrected the issue or what. If the issue resurfaces on cylinder 1 I will then know for sure that is the problem. But for now the car is running strong with no codes or sputtering. Yee Haw!!!

zeonic

mmm.... beer
the coils are known to be faulty in the mkv's, i was hoping the fixed them up for the mkvi's but i guess not. if the problem is still there make sure they check the spark plugs as well.