GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5 IE ULTIMATE POWER KIT

Grant16

Anyone have this installed on there 2.5?? What do you think about it? is it worth the money?? and does it ruin the reliability??

Thanks Grant:thumbup:

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have this installed on there 2.5?? What do you think about it? is it worth the money?? and does it ruin the reliability??

Thanks Grant:thumbup:

I had thought about getting it but was advised by IE that it wouldn't be suitable for me since I have an auto trans....

What kind of transmission do you have?

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
I would say it worth the money, it's probably the best performance mod while staying N/A. I was about to get an intake manifold and a tune, but my differential failed and it made a hole in the bell housing, so my clutch and flywheel is done too because of the gearbox oil... I bought a 02q trans instead, it should be installed by next week

I would recommend the intake manifold and if you are planning to turbo your 2.5, you aren't loosing money since an intake manifold is part of a good turbo setup ;)

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I would say it worth the money, it's probably the best performance mod while staying N/A. I was about to get an intake manifold and a tune, but my differential failed and it made a hole in the bell housing, so my clutch and flywheel is done too because of the gearbox oil... I bought a 02q trans instead, it should be installed by next week

I would recommend the intake manifold and if you are planning to turbo your 2.5, you aren't loosing money since an intake manifold is part of a good turbo setup ;)
Flo, get the IE intake manifold then let's dyno to see how the UM Stage 1 does with the IE Intake Manifold, no one has bench marked that combination as far as I know.

Then we can add the IE Stage 2 Intake Manifold Tune for the grand finally.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Flo, get the IE intake manifold then let's dyno to see how the UM Stage 1 does with the IE Intake Manifold, no one has bench marked that combination as far as I know.

Then we can add the IE Stage 2 Intake Manifold Tune for the grand finally.

My 2 cents.

Once I get an IE Intake, I might look for a dyno on stage 1, a dyno is like 100-150$. Maybe if we contact UM, they could share a dyno graphs.

Picture of the self machined differential ^^ http://i.imgur.com/KJALcw4.jpg

And the 02q trans : http://i.imgur.com/FgNYOsm.jpg

FlowMK6

Ready to race!

What you mean by really ? That the dyno is overpriced or that I might do a dyno pull once I get an IE manifold (which is not soon, since my incomes are lower than before and I just spend 2000$, but yea why not) or that UM could provide us a dyno chart, they probably tried the car with a intake manifold and stage 1 to know that there would a be a drop in torque without a proper tune.

Other than that, the trans is finally removed, the new flywheel and clutch is installed, tomorrow the shift box and shifter cables:

http://i.imgur.com/GsqB8Bp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yqYNOZv.jpg

Sorry if I don't use the IMG bbcode, the image's size is too huge and it's annoying, I'm on my phone and I don't want to resize them

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
What you mean by really ?
They haven't given much more info than the basic marketing graphs, I hope I'm wrong but I don't thing they care about the 2.5 market any longer to give us any more. We have to figure things out our selves, if we want the info.

Anyone have this installed on there 2.5?? What do you think about it? is it worth the money?? and does it ruin the reliability?
I don't have installed, I for one don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just what's available. The power is made high up above our redline, if that's what you want then the money is worth it.

Apart from my track days I wouldn't be using the high rev range much, the 2.5 has a habit of throwing off belts at high RPM. New pulley and tensioners were promised to fix this but I haven't seen them for sale.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
They haven't given much more info than the basic marketing graphs, I hope I'm wrong but I don't thing they care about the 2.5 market any longer to give us any more. We have to figure things out our selves, if we want the info.

I don't have installed, I for one don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just what's available. The power is made high up above our redline, if that's what you want then the money is worth it.

Apart from my track days I wouldn't be using the high rev range much, the 2.5 has a habit of throwing off belts at high RPM. New pulley and tensioners were promised to fix this but I haven't seen them for sale.

UM and IE are probably the last one who care of the 2.5 market in term of tuning. A guy swapped a DSG and UM is working on the ECU to make the DSG compatible with the ECU :) They are also the only one, as far as I know, to make custom turbo tune and they stopped making turbo exhaust manifold since the one from Bluewater performance is almost identical ^^

As for the 02q, it's almost done, just have to install the GTI shifter and the shifter cable, install the left axle and drain and fill with new OEM gearbox oil, we are doing it on free time, it should be done by next week (Wednesday maybe)

And a picture

Edit: the shifter box of our 5speed is the same than the 6speed, only the shifter cable and shifter cable end links are different, so we took the end link and the mounting bracket of the GTI and we put it on the 5speed cable, I have been told that the 5speed cable is a bit longer so I would need to swap it, we will see once we test the car.

Other than that, even if the 6speed seems bigger than the 5speed due to the size of the differential, it does fit on our car, we have enough clearance, here is a pic from the view of the inner fender on the left side:

It's almost done, I should have my car tuesday if everything is fine, 1 bolt missing (a m10x105x90, but I bought it yesterday), I should also receive the gearbox oil tuesday, I discovered that the oil of the 5speed isn't the same that the 6speed, I think viscosity is the same, but there is something more in the 6speed gearbox oil (it's like 40$cad/liter), I got 2L even if the trans needs 2.3L, I will fill the rest with 5speed oil (I have 1L of 5speed OEM gearbox oil in my garage), it shouldn't be bad.

Last edited: