GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brunkel's Build Thread - '13 United Grey GTI

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Here's my 2013 GTI in united grey with convenience package - 6spd manual. Purchased the car in October of 2012. I came from a 2005 Pontiac GTO that was a blast to drive, but impractical for the wallet and for lugging gear. I'm a professional musician so having some versatility for transporting instruments was a must! The GTI has been the perfect fit for me.

I need to update pics as these don't reflect my current mods! Soon...

My current setup:

Exterior
- 35% window tint
- Dark Cherry LED Tails
- DeAutokey LED exterior plate
- DeAutokey Reverse Cree LEDs
- DeAutokey Rear Turn Signal LEDs
- Boldsport mirror puddle LEDs
- Boldsport Door Warning light LEDs

Interior
- Weather Tech Digital Cut Floor Liners
- DeAutokey LEDs (red footwells)
- Boldsport rear red footwell LEDs
- GTI seat wrench inserts
- Double Apex USB Charger
- Aluminum Glove Box Handle
- Raceseng Sphereology Weighted Shift Knob
- Euro Switch

Suspensions/Chassis
- ST Coilovers
- Red Unibrace UB
- HPA 75a mount
- H&R 26mm Front Sway Bar

Performance/Engine
- NSP Redline Boost Gauge, vent mounted
- NSP Boost Tap
- 42dd Vacuum tubing
- Dimple “Black Hole” Engine Oil Filter Magnets
- Dimple Magnetic Engine Drain Plug
- Soundaktor Delete
- Unitronic CAI
- Unitronic TBE
- Unitronic Stage II Software Tune
- Audi R8 Coilpacks
- Audi R8 Oil Cap
- GFB DV+
- ECS Aluminum Street Shield

Drivetrain/Transmission
- Diesel Geek Short Shifter
- Modified Clutch Stop
- Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings
- South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch w/ singe mass flywheel

Brakes
- Stoptech Slotted Rotors
- Stoptech Street Pads
- KMD Tuning Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Motul RBF600 Fluid

Last edited:

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
In March of 2013 I picked up my first motorcycle! It's a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r.

FinallygotmyGTI

Ready to race!
Nice car! Manual's are great. I've got my wife hooked on driving my car and she has never had a manual before.

Loving the tint. I need to look up CA laws and figure out what I can get away with here. I just bought my set of Deautokey interior LEDs w/ the red footwells. Do you happen to have interior pics?

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Nice car! Manual's are great. I've got my wife hooked on driving my car and she has never had a manual before.

Loving the tint. I need to look up CA laws and figure out what I can get away with here. I just bought my set of Deautokey interior LEDs w/ the red footwells. Do you happen to have interior pics?

Yeah I'm manual for life now! I love it. Indiana's law was 35% so I did all that I could. Honestly I think it's a great fit, not too dark, not too light. You will LOVE the DeAutokey interior LEDs!!! I don't have pics of my exact set up but there is a great review with lots of pics Here.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
6/23/13

New DA polisher came in today!

Just need a few more things and my detailing stock should be all-inclusive! Next on the list:
- Adam's Fender Brush
- Adam's Boars Hair Wheel Brush
- Wheel Woolies
- Hog Hair Detailing brushes
- Larger wash mitt
- Uber Firehose spray nozzle
- Adam's Shut-off valve
- Adam's Super VRT
- Adam's Glass Cleaner and sealant kit
- More foam applicator pads

OK it's a little more than a few things...

Last edited:

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
6/28/13

Installed New South Performance Redline boost gauge in the vent pod. Getting the tubing from the engine bay through the firewall was a nightmare! I learned a lot along the way and am slowly getting more comfortable working on the car.

FinallygotmyGTI

Ready to race!
I had the same experience installing mine. Did you have any issues getting it wired up to the headlight switch? Now you need to go get your stage 1 tune so you can really see that needle move :)

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
I had the same experience installing mine. Did you have any issues getting it wired up to the headlight switch? Now you need to go get your stage 1 tune so you can really see that needle move :)

Such a pain! Had to tape the tube to a close hanger and spent way too long trying to get that thing through. Ended up cutting a bigger hole than I would have liked in the rubber too. Wiring was a piece of cake, mainly b/c I had someone on the forum messaging me with some tips!:D I knew nothing about how the wire taps worked before, but once it was explained and I tried it out it was easy. Going to go for a cruise tonight so I can test it all out with the lights on! Coilovers come in next Monday and will go on probably Thursday! Tune will most likely happen in August if I'm lucky!

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Ha shortly after I got my GTI I bought my first bike too ('10 Yamaha FZ6R). Acceleration is a drug. How you liking the 250? I'm about 6' 1" 180, and thought the 250s felt a bit small on me. I recommend a fender eliminator kit :p.

Back to the car. Looks great! If you're planning APR tune in August I sure hope you are shooting for early August. Sale ends the 4th!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Ha shortly after I got my GTI I bought my first bike too ('10 Yamaha FZ6R). Acceleration is a drug. How you liking the 250? I'm about 6' 1" 180, and thought the 250s felt a bit small on me. I recommend a fender eliminator kit :p.

Back to the car. Looks great! If you're planning APR tune in August I sure hope you are shooting for early August. Sale ends the 4th!

FZ6R :drool: Nice!

I'm loving the 250! Great starter bike and the thing is like new. I found one that was really cared for. I'm 6' and 160 lbs so it's just about right for me. If I was any bigger it would be an issue. I look a little tall on it but it's actually quite comfortable. A pretty upright riding position too.

Just did new oil, filters, gaskets, and K&N drop in air filter. DEFINITELY want a fender eliminator kit...kind of an eye sore right now. Other than that I'm leaving stock as to help resale value. It's light enough that it has enough power to still be fun, but a 600 would be awesome in the future. I love the zx-6r and the Yamaha R6's.

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
Such a pain! Had to tape the tube to a close hanger and spent way too long trying to get that thing through. Ended up cutting a bigger hole than I would have liked in the rubber too. Wiring was a piece of cake, mainly b/c I had someone on the forum messaging me with some tips!:D I knew nothing about how the wire taps worked before, but once it was explained and I tried it out it was easy. Going to go for a cruise tonight so I can test it all out with the lights on! Coilovers come in next Monday and will go on probably Thursday! Tune will most likely happen in August if I'm lucky!

glad everything went well!
and nice bike.. i have a 06 Gsxr 600. Very smart gettin a 250 for your first bike. learn the basics and always... ALWAYS wear gear. Sweat is better than blood. :thumbsup:

and good luck with the coils..

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Pretty excited. My first "big" mod came in the mail today. This will be an adventure installing tomorrow. Thankfully I have a friend with a lot more tools than me and he will be helping me out. Been reading up on a lot of DIY's for spring installs and it looks like as long as we can get through the front end it's smooth sailing!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Tool fail. When reading through the DIY's the 14mm triple square bit did not jump out at me as a special tool I'd need to get. It just looked like a torx bit so I glanced over it. Wrong. Searched all across town for over an hour and couldn't find one locally. Leaving for Wisconsin on Sunday for a week and had my alignment appointment set for Friday. So, I either magically find a way to get the tool by tomorrow afternoon or no install for about 2 weeks :(

If anyone has one and is local to Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan PM me please!

Only got this far... :thumbdown:

Last edited: