GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011-2014 Water Pump Recall Incoming

Bii

My water pump was leaking just a month ago and the dealership had it replaced (2012, 37k, 1st and hopefully the only replacement). I'm seeing the 'service campaign' message too after inputting my VIN #. Like a few others, I'll take the wait-and-see approach; I've only had the replacement pump for less than a month.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Just checked - I'm not on it. Build date 3/2013.

sent from a milk tea shop

CMGTI

Ready to race!
I hate when I see these water pump threads. Since this car is basically my only car I'll be SOL if this thing goes out. But I am glad to see the extension of warranty repair/replacing.

Same here

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I hate when I see these water pump threads. Since this car is basically my only car I'll be SOL if this thing goes out. But I am glad to see the extension of warranty repair/replacing.

It's not that difficult to replace. And why would you want the dealership to replace it every 10K miles anyways??

cobie56

Ready to race!
Plugged in my VIN and it popped up. No problems so far but have a svc appt in a month for an oil chg so will address it with them then.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
It's not that difficult to replace. And why would you want the dealership to replace it every 10K miles anyways??

If improper installations are happening at a factory/dealership level, I doubt any regular Joe Shmoe would have an easy time doing it too. Not saying it's impossible or anything. It's just that installing one properly might require a little more attention to detail than swapping other parts. Otherwise we wouldn't be having these widespread problems coming from improperly installed pumps.

Having a stealership replace it holds them accountable by leaving a paper trail behind. The fact that it'll now be done for free makes the decision even easier.

trill

Passed Driver's Ed
Dont know if I should be concerned or not.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Is it maybe engine code related? I'm 2013 CCTA and got nothing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jaber

Modero
Could be they're only looking at cars with specific water pumps installed.

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm thinking to just wait. If it ain't broke, maybe not fix it? Might get a crappy tech who ends up doing more damage than good during the repair.
Nail on the head.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
My 13 GLI (cbfa) does not pull up anything open. Wonder why so many 13's aren't on the list.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Nothing for my 2014 Wolfsburg MT CBFA

Andrew429

Ready to race!
We have 4 vw's: two 2011 gti's a 2008 gli and a 2012 Tiguan. My gti along with my brother's gti and dads gli had the water pumps replaced (Gli 2 times) but the Tiguan has been fine. No recall/service campaign showed up on any of them. All CBFA's

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Im in Florida too. Nothing yet. CCTA

Edit*

Also i havent had any issues for the past 12k miles ive owned the car and their is no indication that my water pump had been replaced before i bought it CPO. Ill wait untill something happens and if my car shows up on the list then ill use that as a fall back in trying not to pay all cost.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Nothing came up for my 2013 GTI CBFA (built date 6/13/13), however I spoke to Customer Service and they notified me that my car was flagged for a "Service Action" for the waterpump...which is different from a recall.

Mathew P said:
Looks like you do have a service action, which is different than a recall. They have different parameters. Looks like you're within the parameters so you just have to make a dealership appointment and they will take care of this for you.
Mathew P said:
The service action has to be done within the new vehicle limited warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first).

I indicated that my car was CPO with extended warranty for 2yr/24k miles, he still claimed that the service action is only valid for the initial 3yr/36mi warranty. I guess it doesn't really matter, because if the waterpump pump fails within the 60k mile warranty it'll be covered...but the way they're going about this is confusing. I'd rather have the assurance that they've redesigned the seal on the pump so that it's not so prone to failure. I'm willing to replace my waterpump myself provided I know that the seal has been resolved.

I'm hesitant to let the dealership replace mine at all considering the "quality" of work I've seen performed and jobs rushed. I'll be watching this one.