GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is a Stage 1 tune for a 2.5L worth it?

J R Dub

I'm a former Honda Accord guy, so I know all about riding around N/A. I feel like most of you guys are unrealistic on power goals from an N/A motor. $300 for 10 - 15whp is a good value. If you want gains similar to a turbo motor you will have to do just that...buy a GTI.

Fresh

Ready to race!
İts not worth to tune an n/a motor, ull only get about 10 hp with more octane which will basically feel like putting lightweight wheels.

Bang of buck power upgrades:
Turbo -> tune
NA motors -> headers (which u will get about the same as u get tune for turbo engine)

What is this "headers" you speak of?

J R Dub

What is this "headers" you speak of?
Really? Let's not be a smartass....besides depending on what car he is talking about he is still politically correct.

But really we should get back on topic... if anyone has any actual experiences they would like to share.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Yes, tuning an NA is not as power rich as a FI motor, but it still has benefits. GRanted, all my NA tuning is on V8s, but you still will get some increase. As to the question is it worth it... it varies for everyone. It might be worth it to you. See if you can get the tune done for a trial period. Obviously you would be out the install costs if you didn't like it, but at least you would know for sure.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
Really? Let's not be a smartass....besides depending on what car he is talking about he is still politically correct.

But really we should get back on topic... if anyone has any actual experiences they would like to share.

Like dragon mentioned above: you will gain more in the way of drivability and slightly more torque. (Confirmed 10-11wtq immediately after flash)

As someone who has actually owned a tuned 2.5, i can confirm that the opinions voiced by the above forum members are pretty accurate. I mean i dont know what else to tell you.. it was noticeable for awhile before i got used it again and wanted more...except on a 2.5 there's no "more" unless you spend a lot of $$$$$$. Just glad I didn't have to pay for the tune. Probably would not have gotten it if I had to.

If you think $200-$300 is a good deal for those gains then just pull the trigger.

Btw, for 2.5 I would also take a look at United Motorsport and yes it's ~$400.

ChrisW.

Ready to race!
I call bulls**t on that hogwash article.

you seem hostile so Im not going to argue with you but i definitely notice a difference between 87 and 91 in my 2.5l more than just a placebo. This seems to only be true for the 2.5 motor though as rumor has it that the motor was always meant to run off 91 but vw decided at the last minute to detune it to compete with other cars in the eco sedan class

J R Dub

Like dragon mentioned above: you will gain more in the way of drivability and slightly more torque. (Confirmed 10-11wtq immediately after flash)

As someone who has actually owned a tuned 2.5, i can confirm that the opinions voiced by the above forum members are pretty accurate. I mean i dont know what else to tell you.. it was noticeable for awhile before i got used it again and wanted more...except on a 2.5 there's no "more" unless you spend a lot of $$$$$$. Just glad I didn't have to pay for the tune. Probably would not have gotten it if I had to.

If you think $200-$300 is a good deal for those gains then just pull the trigger.

Btw, for 2.5 I would also take a look at United Motorsport and yes it's ~$400.
Which tune did you own? Can you provide a link to the UM Tune? Did you purchase an intake beforehand or at all?