GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are people trapping with the R?

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
im evidently stupid.

Are you trapping 110+ on the giac stage 2+? or that is what you are projecting with the extreme file?

Is the maf maxxed out? What is the point of changing files to a larger maf intake on the stock turbo? What diameter maf are you going up to?

No you aren't stupid, I'm trapping 110-111 using the Racelogic performance Box. It was within 0.2mph of my official trap speeds when on the drag strip. This is using UK 99 Ron fuel.

The GIAC extreme files were designed around the VF Engineering intake which uses a larger diameter MAF housing than their stage 2 map which was designed around the stock MAF diameter intake ( they used a Forge Twintake ). So to ,ove to their extreme file I need to use the larger MAF diameter so that the map will work ( it scales the MAF readings ). The reason for moving to the extreme file is that they perform better in race mode with water methanol.

On a similar note at the track using wmi and race fuel the record with a K04 Golf R is 11.4@119mph! (APR)

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
yeah I understand maf scaling. I guess the k04 is capable of maxing the stock maf diameter.

how did the apr car attain that trap? weight reduction? slicks? if the stage 3 100oct is trapping 118-119 how did fhe k04 race file do the same? granted meth can jack up octane, how could the file advance timing and lean out enough to make power? are fhe software tables really that flexible?

swfl_mk6R

Trapped at 107mph on revo stage 2+ on 19" SUV wheels. I ran again with stocks in my local 8th mile track and did 8.4 secs at 83mph when at the quarter I was doing 8.7 in the 1/8 of the quarter.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
.3 8n the 8th is significant. how did speeds at the 8th compare?

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
yeah I understand maf scaling. I guess the k04 is capable of maxing the stock maf diameter.

how did the apr car attain that trap? weight reduction? slicks? if the stage 3 100oct is trapping 118-119 how did fhe k04 race file do the same? granted meth can jack up octane, how could the file advance timing and lean out enough to make power? are fhe software tables really that flexible?

These are all questions I'd like to know for sure too. Call me a sceptic but on the 11.6 he was running 95 ron fuel with wmi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZu3xX2sp5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzDZDEQEIA4

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
These are all questions I'd like to know for sure too. Call me a sceptic but on the 11.6 he was running 95 ron fuel with wmi!

Knowing Apr they threw the kitchen sink. 30 psi max timing tune best fuel possible long term reliability will be short lived. The misleading thing is people read or a few select builds Apr factory cars or at one of there master dealers thinking they could have the same great results and it won't be even close these cars get special tunes and hardware changes that the production customer kit will never see. The best way to judge Apr production results of there products is look at regular customer results. Bob. G. :thumbsup:

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
If you're referencing APR's Stage 3 R it's more likely to be around 115-116 mph, the issue was the redline at 6800 RPM at the top of 4th so when Colby recorded his time he went across the traps hitting the rev limiter. The trap speed is actually an average of the last X amount of feet too so it hurt the trap worse than you think. The rev limit is 7100 RPM now, when we all go back the trap speed and time will be much better.

The issue with the US Golf R is obviously the manual, from the APR Stage 2+ Golf Rs we're seeing an average of 320whp on a dynojet to 2 wheels, it's a lot of power, more than what K04s put down in a GTI. They got plenty of power and it's the best K04 tune to date, look at European Golf Rs, they do low 12's with the DSG. I think Keith@APR is nearly running 11's with the same K04 V3.1 tune that is in the US cars.
A little off topic but i put down 320whp and 327wtq on the same dyno not too long ago, and DRedman45 had 330/333. :iono:

B

Bronson@APR

A little off topic but i put down 320whp and 327wtq on the same dyno not too long ago, and DRedman45 had 330/333. :iono:

I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just stating it's what I saw on average. If you look at the logs of the 2 tunes the Golf R tune is more aggressive too. Although the TSI is a bit more efficient so it evens itself out (Until the R adds the APR RFD and then is able to add the APR cylinder head, TSI won't be more efficient).

B

Bronson@APR

Knowing Apr they threw the kitchen sink. 30 psi max timing tune best fuel possible long term reliability will be short lived. The misleading thing is people read or a few select builds Apr factory cars or at one of there master dealers thinking they could have the same great results and it won't be even close these cars get special tunes and hardware changes that the production customer kit will never see. The best way to judge Apr production results of there products is look at regular customer results. Bob. G. :thumbsup:

We wouldn't do that or retail customers would get angry that they're spending money on something that doesn't live up.

The results posted on the website is an average of what the test car put down on the hub dyno at APR. There is multiple runs, outliers removed and then power output is averaged. The only cars that get special files and are publicized are the Motorsport cars.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
I'm not doubting you at all, I'm just stating it's what I saw on average. If you look at the logs of the 2 tunes the Golf R tune is more aggressive too. Although the TSI is a bit more efficient so it evens itself out (Until the R adds the APR RFD and then is able to add the APR cylinder head, TSI won't be more efficient).
Hmm that i didnt know. :)

raisin

This is one of our shop cars. We are an APR dealer here in South Africa. The car ran with bf Goodrich semis on the back and Hoosier semi's on the car. Car makes in excess of 400 crank horsepower. Car has strengthened internals. The WMI provides all the octane needed, so there is no need for any higher octane fuel. Besides 95 is the highest octane you can buy at the pumps in SA. This is an everyday driven car.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
This is one of our shop cars. We are an APR dealer here in South Africa. The car ran with bf Goodrich semis on the back and Hoosier semi's on the car. Car makes in excess of 400 crank horsepower. Car has strengthened internals. The WMI provides all the octane needed, so there is no need for any higher octane fuel. Besides 95 is the highest octane you can buy at the pumps in SA. This is an everyday driven car.

Just gone for WMI myself and I can fully understand how the car is that fast.

At the moment for me it is all about getting the WMI to run sweet. My tuner has been trying various combinations of hardware with the WMI to see what runs best as he had several combos to look at. The results are phenomenal.

My mate will have to forgive me for using his stage 2+ Golf R as a baseline as it was the best guide as his run was done after the dyno was calibrated and only a few days away, but also under the same conditions.

Here goes.......

I'm getting more power at 4200rpm than the APR stage 2+ Golf R made at peak power and where the Golf R makes peak torque at 3400rpm my Golf R makes equal or more than that torque from 3050rpm to 5350rpm.

For reference max gain is 65bhp@4350rpm over Apr stage 2+ and a mahoosive 85lbft@4200rpm.

Peak power gain is 40bhp and 65lbft over Apr stage 2+

This just goes to show just how much midrange power and torque is added by WMI on GIAC.

Stage 2 GIAC gave a few bhp more than APR stage 2+, but had 15lbft less torque. Which reminds me, I need to get some figures for the GIAC extreme pump map without WMI!

The car isn't just a little faster, it is a LOT faster. Mid range ooomph is much more positive and it just keeps coming! All-in-all WMI is a great modification to do for the performance returns when done right.

Halvie

WOOSA

Why not have them equally aggressive? Cause the R can take more abuse?