GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Euro Cup Holder Install **Pretty Easy Install**

inc55

Go Kart Champion
***Hey Guys, sorry but some of the pics I used from another DIY are no longer available. If anyone from the NYC are wants me to help them install the cup holder I can retake all the pics and make a better DIY.***

Ok I wanna start off by saying that this install was not as hard as the install for the MKV. I feel bad that many people are turned off by this awesome mod because the MKV DIY scared them away. I've done this install 3 years ago on my MKV R32 and a few days ago on my MK6 GTI and it was sooo much easier on the MK6. There are 15 screws to remove and the whole install should take 1.5 hours. There is NO need to remove your shifter knob (at least not on the DSG Models)

The whole point of this thread is to inform people that the install is not hard by any means, all the parts remove pretty easily and go back pretty easy. The install is not as hard as on the MK5. I am not some kinda install genius, I am simply good at following directions.

BTW if anyone needs help installing this in the NYC area PM me.

This document is for informational purposes only. Any vehicle modifications should be done by a certified VW mechanic. Neither the author nor this site will be held liable for actions taken resulting from the information set forth herein.

Sorry I couldn't do a better DIY with propper trim removal. I did not want to remove everything again.

Thanks to the.ronin from the VWVortex forums for his MKV DIY. I used a few of his pictures and words.

Tools Needed
* Required tools. All others will just make your life a whole heck of a lot easier.

* T20 torx bit
* Wrench w/ adapter for T20 or Multi-angle screwdriver with T20 bit
* Trim tool
* Small mail key or similar sized object to remove MDI

Removal of MDI interface

1. Insert your mail key or a credit card cut into a small long strip to fit inside the red circle area. Doing this two both areas will release the MDI once the clips are unclipped.

2. Once the MDI is removed and unplugged you will find your first torx screw. Remove and proceed to step 3.

3. Move onto the small rear storage compartment where you'll find two more torx screws (red circles).

4. Remove the rear compartment.

5. Remove the rear air-conditioning unit by pulling in the direction of the red arrows.

6. With the rear air-conditioning removed, you'll find two more torx screws on the lower sides - one on each side.

7. The armrest/coolant unit can now be removed.

Removal of Gear Shift Selector Trim

8. Simply place the trimming tool in the location in the picture and apply some pressure and voila it opens up fairly easily.

9. Raise the gear selector trim over the shift knob

Removal of Ash Tray

NOTE: It helps to turn your car on, place it into D or S and then turn it off. This will give you the space you need to remove the ashtray.

10. With the gear selector trim raised, you'll find two torx screws holding down the front of the ashtray.

11. Carefully lift up the ash tray and find two wiring harnesses. Remove the white connector (ESP) and the power outlet harness. Note that the wiring bundle for the white ESP connector is attached to a guide (red arrow) which cannot be seen in the photo below. This is easily removed by pulling out to the right (not down).

Removal of Footwell Fascias

12. Remove the torx screw underneath each side of the footwell fascias.

Once these are removed you should be able to pull out and down on the fascias and remove them entirely ... this part is tough. It helps to move the seats as far as as they will go. The fascia only extends just past the front of the seats when they are in the furthest rear position.

13. Remove the torx screws from the rear cup holder by first removing the rubber insert with the trim tool and then the torx screw next to it.

14. Proceed to remove the two screws on both sides of the footwells which are located behind the red circles. You can access these screws from the inside area of the gear shifter. They are attached to metal rods on both sides.

Note: There are two more screws holding the soft trim which surrounds the gear shifter. These screws are located behind the Climate Control trim. To remove the climate control trim you must first remove the trim around your RCD510/RNS315 unit.

15. Using your trim tool remove the trim around the nav unit by starting from the sides and working your way around.

16. Now remove the climate control trim which will expose the two screws that need to be removed. DO NOT confuse these screws for the ones that remove the climate control unit. The climate control unit does not need to be removed.

Important Note: If you unplug the airbag indicator light (seen in yellow in the picture above) and replug it your car will throw an "airbag error" code which can be cleared with vagcom or by a VW dealer.

17. Now that you removed the two screws behind the climate control trim the soft trim that surrounds the gear knob should be able to come out.

18. Now you should raise your emergency brake as far as it will go. USE FORCE.

19. Time to raise the center console over the e-brake and begin to unscrew the last two screws holding the old cup holder in place. The first one can be seen in the picture below and the second one you can find by feeling around under the console.

20. Now install the Euro Cup Holder and follow these steps backwards. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Great looking mod, another thing I "have to have" for my car. LOL

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Great walk through!! Thank you ! I needed to know how to remove the DSG shifter surround :D Your thread answered that question.

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed
Man, I needed this DIY a week ago when I attempted it. I was basically halfway there when I gave up. Might give it another go this week, because it is not as complicated as the other DIY I was following. Thanks!

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Man, I needed this DIY a week ago when I attempted it. I was basically halfway there when I gave up. Might give it another go this week, because it is not as complicated as the other DIY I was following. Thanks!

I was gonna give up to because the other DIY does not apply to the MK6 but then I starting pulling on the soft trim that surrounds the dsg, broke a clip then had a hunch that removing the climate control would solve my problem.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
holy crap, thats a lot of work just for a sliding cover for the cup holders...