GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
zef
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
front camber/caster issues

After getting my car aligned the left front came out -1.4, the right front -0.7. My car has tyrol collars so no wiggle room in the subframe. I'd ideally like to bring both to -1.5. I am not sure what is causing the variance, except maybe that the right front was hit in an accident (not sure how bad, was from previous owner). But the car has an entirely new front suspension (super pro LCA, B6 spindles, shocks/springs, sway bar etc)

I'd like to avoid camber plates as they're a bit harsh for DD. Superpro ball joints were recommended to me as a solid 2nd option. But after doing some research, I've read conflicting reviews about what the superpro ball joints will allow for adjustment. Does anyone have any personal experiences with these ball joints? Or should I just suck it up and run camber plates?

Secondly, my caster came out +6.6. I have the super pro LCAs, which a friend of mine has as well, and his came out +8.8. Is there a reason why the same arm on 2 similar cars would produce such a variance in caster?

Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
jshay
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: GLI
I saw no increase in harshness when I installed my GC camber plates. There's also no need to cut the top as well.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Cadubya
DUBYA

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
After getting my car aligned the left front came out -1.4, the right front -0.7. My car has tyrol collars so no wiggle room in the subframe. I'd ideally like to bring both to -1.5. I am not sure what is causing the variance, except maybe that the right front was hit in an accident (not sure how bad, was from previous owner). But the car has an entirely new front suspension (super pro LCA, B6 spindles, shocks/springs, sway bar etc)

I'd like to avoid camber plates as they're a bit harsh for DD. Superpro ball joints were recommended to me as a solid 2nd option. But after doing some research, I've read conflicting reviews about what the superpro ball joints will allow for adjustment. Does anyone have any personal experiences with these ball joints? Or should I just suck it up and run camber plates?

Secondly, my caster came out +6.6. I have the super pro LCAs, which a friend of mine has as well, and his came out +8.8. Is there a reason why the same arm on 2 similar cars would produce such a variance in caster?

Caster and camber are not adjustable. It is what it is. Either it's had an accident or the engine/subframe are shifted. Have you done mounts? Moved the engine at all? Has the alignment ever been within specs?
Old 08-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
front camber/caster issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
Caster and camber are not adjustable. It is what it is. Either it's had an accident or the engine/subframe are shifted. Have you done mounts? Moved the engine at all? Has the alignment ever been within specs?
True it is what it is, but you gotta try!

I just replaced my front struts and made effort to have a helper push-in on the top mount before tightening the three top screws and pull out on the rotor/ knuckle before tightening the lower three bolts to 74 ft-lb. This is not an adjustment but allows you to get a bit more range if the tolerances allow.

Good luck !
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote