GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

front camber/caster issues

zef

Drag Racing Champion
After getting my car aligned the left front came out -1.4, the right front -0.7. My car has tyrol collars so no wiggle room in the subframe. I'd ideally like to bring both to -1.5. I am not sure what is causing the variance, except maybe that the right front was hit in an accident (not sure how bad, was from previous owner). But the car has an entirely new front suspension (super pro LCA, B6 spindles, shocks/springs, sway bar etc)

I'd like to avoid camber plates as they're a bit harsh for DD. Superpro ball joints were recommended to me as a solid 2nd option. But after doing some research, I've read conflicting reviews about what the superpro ball joints will allow for adjustment. Does anyone have any personal experiences with these ball joints? Or should I just suck it up and run camber plates?

Secondly, my caster came out +6.6. I have the super pro LCAs, which a friend of mine has as well, and his came out +8.8. Is there a reason why the same arm on 2 similar cars would produce such a variance in caster?

jshay

Go Kart Champion
I saw no increase in harshness when I installed my GC camber plates. There's also no need to cut the top as well.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
After getting my car aligned the left front came out -1.4, the right front -0.7. My car has tyrol collars so no wiggle room in the subframe. I'd ideally like to bring both to -1.5. I am not sure what is causing the variance, except maybe that the right front was hit in an accident (not sure how bad, was from previous owner). But the car has an entirely new front suspension (super pro LCA, B6 spindles, shocks/springs, sway bar etc)

I'd like to avoid camber plates as they're a bit harsh for DD. Superpro ball joints were recommended to me as a solid 2nd option. But after doing some research, I've read conflicting reviews about what the superpro ball joints will allow for adjustment. Does anyone have any personal experiences with these ball joints? Or should I just suck it up and run camber plates?

Secondly, my caster came out +6.6. I have the super pro LCAs, which a friend of mine has as well, and his came out +8.8. Is there a reason why the same arm on 2 similar cars would produce such a variance in caster?

Caster and camber are not adjustable. It is what it is. Either it's had an accident or the engine/subframe are shifted. Have you done mounts? Moved the engine at all? Has the alignment ever been within specs?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Caster and camber are not adjustable. It is what it is. Either it's had an accident or the engine/subframe are shifted. Have you done mounts? Moved the engine at all? Has the alignment ever been within specs?
True it is what it is, but you gotta try!

I just replaced my front struts and made effort to have a helper push-in on the top mount before tightening the three top screws and pull out on the rotor/ knuckle before tightening the lower three bolts to 74 ft-lb. This is not an adjustment but allows you to get a bit more range if the tolerances allow.

Good luck !