GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spulen TOP Leak Fixed

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to inform you all about a problem that I found and was able to fix with the Spulen 1.8T/2.0T Turbo Outlet Pipe. I first noticed the problem when a non-car-guy friend of mine claimed he could hear my turbo. As I listened to the sound I knew it was not the turbo spooling up, but rather some type of metallic sound and most likely a boost leak (coming from the passenger side).

I assumed I had blown an o-ring. So today I went under my car and while taking my TOP out, I noticed I was able to pull the "CNC'd discharge adapter" off without releasing the retaining clip. Turns out either the adapter doesn't fit or had worn down after getting blown out of place.

I took the whole thing off, inspected the o-ring (no tears), tightened up the silicone hose and re-installed everything. Then I went for a drive and everything sounded and felt great, until on my way home the metallic whistling came back.

So I went back under after reading AWE's installation instructions and decided to put the OEM coupler and hose onto the Spulen pipe. I just finished a spirited test drive, and no more metallic noise and no more boost leak paranoia.

TL;DR: These two pieces will connect

Last edited:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
one day everyone on this forum will see that those couplers are a waste of time... sooner you get rid of that the better

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
one day everyone on this forum will see that those couplers are a waste of time... sooner you get rid of that the better

Are KO4 and BT the only ways to get rid of it?

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
20140613_172745.jpg

This is an older picture i took. I had the IHI turbo and S3 FMIC at the time.

I have the same TOP but with different hoses, FMIC and turbo... no fitment issues

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie

mamock116

Ready to race!
Boost leak fixed! Used the stock coupler that connects the pipe to the turbo. The Spulen coupler didnt lock into the turbo which was causing my leak. Stock coupler with aftermarket pipe is the way to go.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Boost leak fixed! Used the stock coupler that connects the pipe to the turbo. The Spulen coupler didnt lock into the turbo which was causing my leak. Stock coupler with aftermarket pipe is the way to go.

Glad I could help! I think it's a common problem with Spulen's TOP

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
Can confirm that this coupler is POS. Luckily, I recognized this upon installation and figured id give the OEM one a shot. It fit well and I dont believe has leaked yet.