GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

mrhappy

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got the RSR clutch with the original DMFW and it's great. 2+ years and still holding strong. My clutchmasters fx350 barely lasted a year. I'm APR stage 2.

How many miles did you have on the DMFW when you got the RSR clutch?

italiansanto

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got the RSR clutch with the original DMFW and it's great. 2+ years and still holding strong. My clutchmasters fx350 barely lasted a year. I'm APR stage 2.

Alright man, thanks! I just ended up ordering the RSR Clutch kit with a new flywheel for $1,300. I have 87,500 on my stock flywheel and clutch right now.

pancakes

Passed Driver's Ed
late to the party, I guess.... just got my 2011 GTI APR 1 tuned. It slipped BAD in 5/6 gear, so they reduced it to the 91-gas low-torque tune. The car is otherwise stock, and honestly I'll probably sell it in the near future (1 year), but is there a consensus on the cheapest clutch sufficient for APR 1?

BTW - be happy that you all are doing it in the states... prices are absurd here in Germany.

AaronC1

Ready to race!
Thought I would update quick. Fours years and 40K miles on my Clutchmasters FX-350 with SMFW at Stage 2 without a problem. I'm at 91K now.

The grab point on the clutch is perhaps a tad higher, possibly indicating it might be reaching end of life.

Just went K04 low-output file (I have the weak valve springs for now) and it still holds no issue.

TXGrunt

Passed Driver's Ed
Just an update, CM FX250 failed after two years of daily driving with lite spirited driving here and there. Unitronic Stage 1+ tune....

pancakes

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I'm going to go with the FX350....

Is there a preferred website/source to buy from? Any deals?

$1,250 seems awfully expensive for a clutch kit.

edit: scratch that... probably going with the SB S3 drop-in. The car has 80k miles... no need for overkill at this point.

Last edited:

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
My southbend stage2 endurance spit the springs out after 105k miles. Had a good run. Installed a dkm stage2 clutch in its place to try something new and save $600. Haven't driven it yet though

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
no complaints about my DKM stage2... other than 1k miles later, i pull the tranny for LSD and the "cool" DFM decal was off the PP and chewed up (understandably).

If you use DKM, remove the bubble logo sticker.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
and check your slave cylinder.. make sure to bench bleed. My LUK slave had a leak, brand new out of the box. ECS overnighted a new one, but i would have been pissed if i installed it, not knowing.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Is this a necro if it's a sticky?

My southbend stage2 endurance spit the springs out after 105k miles. Had a good run. Installed a dkm stage2 clutch in its place to try something new and save $600. Haven't driven it yet though
At least it didn't burst the pressure plate like mine did.

no complaints about my DKM stage2... other than 1k miles later, i pull the tranny for LSD and the "cool" DFM decal was off the PP and chewed up (understandably).

If you use DKM, remove the bubble logo sticker.
How has the pedal feel improved in the last 3 years? Have you used any other kits and how would you compare them?