GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Datalog refinement worth it for stock vehicle?

McGuillicuddy

Passed Driver's Ed
Want to pull the trigger on a Cobb AP + Stratified tune. Wondering if it's worth the extra $50 (CAD$61!) for the datalog refinement on a stock vehicle. Also since I have the 6MT and therefore have a limit on the power I can handle, would that make it not worth the extra cost?

Anybody here have it done? Would love to hear any experiences.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure I would. I did with my tune, but that was because of the list of mods I had.

You could always pay for it later, it'll still be the same price. Try the tune out first and if you think it needs looked at pay for the refinement.

My refinement got me about another 10 torque with the mods I have and it was just as smooth as the first tune.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i wouldnt. Just do the flash tune and they will do the MAF calibration to make sure everything is playing nicely.

McGuillicuddy

Passed Driver's Ed
i wouldnt. Just do the flash tune and they will do the MAF calibration to make sure everything is playing nicely.

Fair point. Makes sense. Still would be great to hear people's experience with the Datalog refinement service. Don't think I've seen it mentioned much here.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Fair point. Makes sense. Still would be great to hear people's experience with the Datalog refinement service. Don't think I've seen it mentioned much here.
most people that do that have full bolt ons.. to utilize them to their fullest potential. On a stock car whats the point? IMO if you are stock or minimal bolt ons(intake/exhaust) there is no reason to do the refinement.

Laimface

Ready to race!

It's brilliant. You do your logs, send em off and 3-4 days later you get a revised map! You then send logs off again for Stratified to check if any issues / changes have been fixed.

I'm on my 5th revision now to fix surging / fluctuating boost. It's 95% done now. I still get overboost EPC lights now and again when part throttling through corners which is scary as the car goes into limp mode so unsettles the car in the corner.