GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Put down $200 deposit yesterday...

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
The salesman from the dealer close to my house called me on Friday and said he had a "Crazy" price on a GTI and wanted me to talk with him in person so I went to his dealer.

as I have expeceted, I really did not get any "Crazy" price and for a 4 door DSG with no option on it, the salesman wanted to sell me at $25000, according to what he said, $200 over invoice.

the car is still on the ship, and will arrive maybe in next 2-3 weeks. the total OTD price of the car is about $27500.

from what I see on this forum, I really do not think this price is good at all. the reason he got me put down the deposit is he offered a good deal on my trade in. I have been thinking to get rid of my current car for a long time. the car runs fine but it is a manual, and I live in an area where I get real bad traffic sometimes.

Of course from now til the day the car gets here there are many things could change, including the trade-in price he offered me. I will have to make a decision about 3 days before the car actually hit the lot. the salesman said if I changed my mind I can always get the $200 deposit back

personally I guess he just offered me a good deal on my trade-in but also raise the GTI price to cover the loss on my current car. but for a $27500 OTD plain base model 4 door DSG, would you guys think I should go for it or not? I live in NJ and the sales tax is 7%, I believe the registration fee is around 300. I am asking for an itemized list so I will better know what fees the dealer is charging me

Thanks for your comments

charger567

I think you can get a better deal by finding a dealer that has a large inventory and buy a car that is already on his lot. I just bought a 2-door, manual, bt, sr, detroits with summer tires, dynaudio, xenons, monster mats. MSRP $27,520. Paid $24,650. OTD $27,151. The dealer had 28 GTI's on their lot. Don't trade your car, sell it yourself. It requires some effort on your part but it will save cash that will make your new car more affordable. Good luck

2010 UG

Ready to race!
charger is correct that you generally get more by selling your car on your own, but cash in hand isnt always the most important thing. I dont know about New Jersey, but here in Texas you only have to pay tax on the difference when trading in.

When I was shopping I had a GTI lined up at two different dealerships, both were within a couple hundred $$ of each other in sticker price. Dealer A offered 22800 for the GTI and 18500 for my trade. I was prepared for the low ball trade offer and had already secured a private party offer of 21000 for my FJ. Had I sold the FJ on my own and paid full cash for the GTI it would have ended up costing me roughly 3500 out of pocket. (6.25% tax on full purchase price, plus fees)

Dealer B offered the GTI for 23500 and 20700 for my trade. Out of pocket was $3200. I chose dealer B for a couple different reasons, but it certainly didnt hurt that the price was a couple hundred better. (6.25% tax on 2800 difference, fees)

BTW both cars were 6spd 2-doors with one having xenons as the only option, the other had detroits instead. 25000 doesnt seem like a bad price, but I think there's certainly room to do better shoot for 24000 and see where that gets you. and good thinking on the itemized fees, they will try and sneak some in there. You should be paying tax, title, and registration only! And find out exactly what your trade in is worth.

my1stvdub

Ready to race!
i got an amazing deal for my trade in and that was my selling point. I traded in a big gas guzzling truck for my gti. The truck was 38g's new in 2007, since then with the gas prices being so high and gm going bankrupt they were selling brand new awd models (mine was rwd) for 29gs. The dealer gave me what i wanted on the trade and the deal was made...

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
when you trade in your GM did the dealer hit you with a higher GTI price?

my car has high mileage because I drive about 75 miles round way to work everyday. So the dealer uses that against me but I told them my car runs fine so if I am not comfortable with the trade in price then I just wait. Now they came up another plan to get me, which is offering a high trade-in price but also raise the GTI price.

I cannot sell the car privately because of 2 reasons. the 1st one is this car is manual shift and it is hard to sell it quickly. the 2nd reason is I haven't paid the car off yet. I still owe about 8K on it and the dealer is offering 7.5K to buy it. Of course this 7.5K may change by the time the GTI arrives to the dealer, so I think if they start bullshxxing about my trade-in on the day the GTI hit the dealer, I am gonna just get my $200 back and walk away

my1stvdub

Ready to race!
well i owed 21g's on my chevrolet. They first offered me 18 for it, i immeadiatly turned it down. They quickly shot up to 19.5 but again i refused. I simply said that i didnt need to get the gti i wasnt in a rush to get a new car but if they could give me what i owed i'd take it. They finally agreed. They the negociation started for the gti. I got them down roughly 60.00 per month...btw im in a 36 month lease. Im sure i could have gotten the gti cheaper but i really wanted out of my truck. Going from financing a 38g truck that got 13mpg to a gti was a win for me no matter what. Im sure the fact that i bought the gf in the same day to get a jetta helped me out too :thumbup:

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
ok here is the break down

car price: $25,000
trade-in : $7,000 (this could be higher, if less than 7K I will just turn down the deal)
registration = 299
tire fee = 7.5
pay off my car = 8000 (this is what I owe now, and it will be 7.5K by the time GTI arrives)

it seems the dealer just roll 1K from my current car to the new car. it may be lower at the time I actually buy the GTI, but please check this list for me and see if there is any trick hidden?

Thank you

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
Douglas VW in Summit, NJ. I think they have a bad idea about what "crazy deal" means so if my trade in is less than 7K I am gonna just turn down the deal.

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
No...I do not even know there is a VW dealership in Princeton. Princeton is pretty far from where I live but if they can give me a better deal I do not mind buying from them

Frankly, I am tired of all those "new car and trade-in price" games so I am afraid if I go another dealer I will have to go over this hassle again.

Did you buy your car from Princeton VW? Is it good? If my trade with Douglas does not go through, I probably will check with Princeton VW...

c0wsp0ts

Passed Driver's Ed
they accepted my zag.com offer. i havent bought my gti yet, im waiting to see if vw will offer anymore discounts by summertime. i had a thread up about this a while ago.