GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The GTI Rattle and solution thread

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Rattle from what I think is the drivers side door, doesnt rattle on idle while sitting in traffic, but when I get above 30 or so I hear the rattle noise, any ideas? I guess I need to open the door cars to check?

Diluted

Ready to race!
I have a rattle the comes from my front passenger door. I think I've narrowed it down to the door card area not sure how I'm going to fix it yet.

Stuart M

I tracked a rattle on passenger side down to the right side of center console, it sounded like it was coming from the door. It was where the layers overlap about where passengers knee would be.

jrwamp

Ready to race!
My hatch area is fine. Even my b pillar tick is gone. Only thing is the passenger door handle area that sounds like someone scrunching an empty chip bag every time I go over the slightest rough patch. Felt tape solved my glove box rattles and creaking door seals.

For those with wind noise issues, I had it too and it was fixed under warranty. They completely replaced the passenger side seals and channels and it's silent now. Dealer attitude on rattles is "tough shit"

What was your fix for the b pillar? I'm having similar issues with my driver's side b pillar area. Seems like the outer plastic is a little loose and creaks when I'm going over a rough patch. I live in the DC area, and we have plenty of those.

I figure the 18''s made it more noticeable too, when I had 17''s I didn't really notice it.

Mello03

Ready to race!
So today I removed the styrofoam area, and even the carpet - and the noise isn't coming from there.

So I think either it's in the actual hatch, perhaps the light assembly, or the middle center console in the back that the cup holders pop out of.

That center console is really a bit noisy, and it seems like it's inside the part that bends down, and not the cupholder part. Anyone have any dealings with this area?

This is where mine is coming from. If I put the armrest down and drive the noise goes away. On mine, it is specifically coming from the latch on the pass through door to the trunk. If you tap it lightly you can hear the metallic sound. I haven't figured out how I am gonna fix it though. It may be tough like noisy seat belt tensioners where you can't just put some felt tape or similar in there.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Rattle from what I think is the drivers side door, doesnt rattle on idle while sitting in traffic, but when I get above 30 or so I hear the rattle noise, any ideas? I guess I need to open the door cars to check?

Update on this rattle, it goes away the depending on the road surface odd.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have a weird clunk/thud coming from the left rear when going over intermediate bumps?

I think I might have a bad shock.

McQueen77

Banned
So I'm taking this shit to the top. I was about to set aside a day and attempt to take my doors off and fix all the rattles and then I thought "wait, this is basically a new car. Why should I spend al this time and energy to fix something that shouldn't be happening on a car with 16k miles on it?" so I spent a while on the phone with VW of America yesterday and got a case number and got it escalated to where some regional vw rep called me back and said that they are going to be at the dealer in Pasadena on tues to "assure the problem gets fixed and that the rattles only covered til 12k is bullshit" he said there is a TSB related to these problems and that a foam kit is a fix as well as problems with the window regulator motor assembly. Supposedly they'll keep the car til it's all fixed.

I figure it's worth one last try before I get too far along in miles and before I start the DIY door project. It's funny how the dealers attitude changed when I gave them my case number and told them that I called VWNA. All the sudden they've never heard of the rattles only covered up to 12k miles thing. So we'll see. I totally disagree with some people's sentiments on here like "shoulda bought a Lexus" because these problems are unacceptable. I've driven total piece of shit chevy Aveo rentals that have been driven into the ground that had no door rattles while my supposed up market "German engineered" car's doors sound like they are full of pebbles and empty potato chip bags. Over it.

I'll let everyone know what happens. It's my last dealer attempt before going DIY and giving up. I've been to this same dealer for related issues so many times and that's why the rep said they have to fix it since it was never really fixed. I've had the car a year and have been to the dealer more times than in all the years of various cars. All for problems related to interior build. We shall see.

Papa

Ready to race!
I find a new rattle everyday and the car only has 2.5K miles on it. This is my first VW and I love it to death as its one of the most fun cars I've driven as a daily driver, but interior build absolutely F'in sucks. Its terrible and unacceptable for a new car. Sorry, but I totally agree with McQueen.

I take my car in for the 3K mile inspection soon and I will be all over them to fix this crap. None of us should be removing door panels or putting on 'felt' tape on brand new cars. That's retarded.

And it has nothing to do with suspension being stiff. My Lexus IS was dropped on H&Rs for over 70K miles and I NEVER had a rattle.

McQueen77

Banned
I find a new rattle everyday and the car only has 2.5K miles on it. This is my first VW and I love it to death as its one of the most fun cars I've driven as a daily driver, but interior build absolutely F'in sucks. Its terrible and unacceptable for a new car. Sorry, but I totally agree with McQueen.

I take my car in for the 3K mile inspection soon and I will be all over them to fix this crap. None of us should be removing door panels or putting on 'felt' tape on brand new cars. That's retarded.

And it has nothing to do with suspension being stiff. My Lexus IS was dropped on H&Rs for over 70K miles and I NEVER had a rattle.

Exactly

rondocap

Ready to race!
This is where mine is coming from. If I put the armrest down and drive the noise goes away. On mine, it is specifically coming from the latch on the pass through door to the trunk. If you tap it lightly you can hear the metallic sound. I haven't figured out how I am gonna fix it though. It may be tough like noisy seat belt tensioners where you can't just put some felt tape or similar in there.

Yeah, I am getting the noise in there, I did various tests and found it. I put some towels around the center console upholder, and closed it - and I got less noise, but still a little bit, which I think is coming from the inside mechanisms.

I'm going to try and see if I can felt tape the latch and other parts to make it quiet.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I have this annoying rattle/buzzing on the passenger door somewhere near the window control button. On rough highway surfaces it rattles nonstop. I'm thinking of opening the door panels to see if there is anything loose in there. Or should I bring it to the dealership?

Halvie

WOOSA
Anyone have rattles coming from the dome lights? Any clue how to go about getting rid of them? Extremely annoying.

rondocap

Ready to race!
I have this annoying rattle/buzzing on the passenger door somewhere near the window control button. On rough highway surfaces it rattles nonstop. I'm thinking of opening the door panels to see if there is anything loose in there. Or should I bring it to the dealership?

I have a similar rattle, but I think it's coming from the passenger seat. Try to hit the seat top with your hand, and see if it makes a rattle - mine does. I have no idea where in the seat it is though!