GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Notch-y Gear shift and bad brakes

Hello_12345

Hi, 2009 Mk6 GT TDI 140 Manual.

My has an awful gear shift, where it is heavy to push out into neutral, and also cannot rush it into another one, until it rev matches. Needless to say downshifting without rev matching is awful. But it is not totally unusable, goes into gear well, just need to place small pressure on it until it slots in.

I feel I am doing great damage to the gear box driving it like this however.

Could this be dragging clutch or a cable issue between the stick and the gearbox? Oddly if the ABS / ESP has been activated the gear shift gets alot better, then worse. Is this something to do with the ABS pump bleeding the system?

I got the car just after it had all new rotors and pads, perhaps the garage did not follow the vacuum bleed? Car only done 58k, I do not think it could be the slave in the clutch, car has a history of easy out of town driving.

I dread to think it is the slave, as I sold my MK5 GT TDI because of this issue, and that had a way better gear shift, could just flick it in and out.

Also on top of that, under very hard breaking (full pressure with ABS), then the car will I would not say "pull" to the right, but sort of grab, with the front right seeming to brake harder than the left.

So if the brakes and clutch share the same reservoir, could all this just be air in the system?

Just looking for advise, before I take it to a garage only to find they change stuff as cost that does not solve the issue.

Thanks

Uberryan

Banned
Brakes should be bled once a year. Check the fluid level and then the fluid itself. If it's black or dark, you'll wanna flush and replace.

If your tranny fluid has never been flushed, it's certainly time to do it.