GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
When you guys are changing your oil do you use ramps or jack\jack stands? Considering changing my own oil from now on and thinking that driving it onto those ramps would be the easiest thing rather than jacking the car up, my neighbor also has those ramps and I don't think his jack can fit under my car since its lowered.

i use an oil extractor pump. yes it takes longer but its cleaner and dont have to worry about ramps scraping the bumper.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
When you guys are changing your oil do you use ramps or jack\jack stands? Considering changing my own oil from now on and thinking that driving it onto those ramps would be the easiest thing rather than jacking the car up, my neighbor also has those ramps and I don't think his jack can fit under my car since its lowered.
I use ramps and fumoto valve. Drive up, put pan down, flick switch, change filter, have a beer, flick switch, put oil in, remove pan, drive down. Quick and easy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I use ramps and fumoto valve. Drive up, put pan down, flick switch, change filter, have a beer, flick switch, put oil in, remove pan, drive down. Quick and easy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Been dong this for years. I add a small piece of wood in front of each ramp so I don't scrape.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Every time I run over a bump or put the car in drive (sometimes) I hear a clunk. Checked all bolts and everything is tight. Any ideas? Can hear it come from the front right every time.

Could be the subframe, as already mentioned, but which strut mounts are you running btw?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

For something as simple as a oil change ill use ramps as i dont have to do much under car. If im doing any real work under the car ill use jack stands.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
For something as simple as a oil change ill use ramps as i dont have to do much under car. If im doing any real work under the car ill use jack stands.

Same. With ramps saves you about 5 minutes and way less set up. I even use a crawler and there’s plenty of room to do oil.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
yeah i get enough room on ramps to slide under and undo the bolt drain. Re tighten and then fill. Back up off ramps level off and top off oil as needed on a level surface.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Ramps work for me, quick & easy. Drive up, slide the drain pan under & remove the drain plug. Then reinsert plug, add an oil filter & oil. Pour the old oil in a container for the recycling. Drive off the ramps & done.

No Fumoto valves for me. I've sworn off them.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I'm with you on that. I don't get the novelty, chances are you're doing it in the garage near your tools, what does it really save? 10 seconds of grabbing your ratchet? Guess I'm old fashioned.
My arm is long enough to reach the valve under the car. It was nice to do an oil change without a jack/ramps and a wrench. Until i scraped and bent the valve closed...back to drain plug.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
My arm is long enough to reach the valve under the car. It was nice to do an oil change without a jack/ramps and a wrench. Until i scraped and bent the valve closed...back to drain plug.

I had one until I had a rock or some such give it a whack causing it to leak. Lucky for me it was a slow leak that didn't cost me an engine. All I had to do was clean up the spill on the garage floor & replace that damned valve with the proper drain plug.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Ok trying to figure out my rear door lock/unlock issue.
Symptoms:
Case 1: if the doors are locked and you try to open the rear driver door from the inside using the pull twice method, the first pull seems like the handle loses resistance and you cannot open the door. You must open it from the outside. When you hit the door lock button after this, you can hear the locking sound struggle on that door. The door does not lock and can be opened. It must be pressed several times before it locks.

Case 2: if the doors are unlocked, there is no issue. The inside door handle will open the door. The outside handle works as well.

I am going to take off the door panel and investigate tomorrow. But, Is this the door latch issue or the door cable issue? Rather, how can i tell so I know what part to order?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
This is just a SWAG, but to me it sounds like a problem with the cable. Possibly it is stretched. Once you pull the panel it should be easier to trouble shoot.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I had one until I had a rock or some such give it a whack causing it to leak. Lucky for me it was a slow leak that didn't cost me an engine. All I had to do was clean up the spill on the garage floor & replace that damned valve with the proper drain plug.

this is what scares me lol.