GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWoA won't cover the fuel pump (LPFP) under drivetrain warranty

ProV1x

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI..

my '11 GTI had a failing LPFP with CEL light on.. car kept on stalling while driving at low speeds.

took it to the $tealer, they were glad to take my $131 for running "diagnostics" only to tell me that my LPFP was bad, and that VW won't cover it since "it's not connected to the engine".

I called VWoA, spoke to several ppl but no luck.

Hope some of you have better results. Along with water pump, I've seen many posts on fuel pumps failing on these cars

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
$100 bucks says your dealer is wrong and the HPFP is what failed...do you know what codes came up?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
$100 bucks says your dealer is wrong and the HPFP is what failed...do you know what codes came up?

now thats pretty funny. Based on nothing you would bet money it's misdiagnosed and you think you're going to figure it out based off of what faults are in it? Apparently you have no idea how useless fuel system faults on the TSI engines are. Pretty much any problem anywhere in the high or low pressure systems will all throw the same P0087 fault.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
now thats pretty funny. Based on nothing you would bet money it's misdiagnosed and you think you're going to figure it out based off of what faults are in it? Apparently you have no idea how useless fuel system faults on the TSI engines are. Pretty much any problem anywhere in the high or low pressure systems will all throw the same P0087 fault.

I'm curious to see if the codes that came up are the same two that I received, that is all. My HPFP pump failed last week (posted about it in another thread) and I had the same issues as the OP...stalling at low revs and barely any power on acceleration. Since this dealer is claiming the pump is not covered by warranty, that obviously means they want him to pay for the repairs. Doing a quick search on the failing LPFP and HPFP...the number of failed HPFP threads are pretty high, while I struggle to find a thread with a TSI engine having LPFP issues.

I'm just trying to help the guy out by telling him to check the HPFP because it is a known failure point in the fuel delivery system. It would be a shame if the dealer does all the labor to replace the LPFP only to find out the HPFP was failing and then stick OP with the bill.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Either one result in not enough fuel.

99% of low pressure pump failures can be diagnosed literally in a couple minutes by doing some quick basic checks. Unhook the quick disconnect and put a hose on the feed into a water bottle and crank it, if you have no fuel coming out than the in tank pump is dead. If you do have fuel you hook the line back up with an inline pressure tester installed and check for pressure.

If the intank pump isn't flowing enough fuel to the HPFP you'll have low pressure in the rail feeding the injectors and a P0087 fault. If the intank pump is doing it's job and HPFP isn't you'll have low pressure in the rail feeding the injectors and a P0087 fault.