GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW recall checking site that actually works?

apache

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had incorrect answers from the local dealer's service department on other issues, so I thought I'd try using the official VW site http://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/ to see if there were any recalls against my 2014 GTI. After entering my VIN, the web page reply was completely useless. The key part basically said "either there are 0 recalls, or we had an internal server error. Good luck figuring out which is true."

We could not find recall/service campaign information about this vehicle because:

This vehicle does not have an open recall/service campaign;
A recall/service campaign was issued more than 15 years ago; OR
There was an internal server error.

I've tried googling to find other ways to check for recalls, but those came up with either empty responses, or recalls for completely different cars (eg, Jetta).

Any suggestions on a VW recall site that actually gives accurate info?
(This is for a USA car, in case that matters)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I would think VWOA could help you if you emailed them your VIN and explain it to them.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
maybe you just dont have a recall? :iono:

apache

Passed Driver's Ed
Check on the NHTSA site. Mine shows no recalls. YES!

This will not show any VW TSB's. Only open recalls.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh7Tp28G82QIVkjqBCh0cwQ9cEAAYASABEgKdavD_BwE#vin

Thanks for the URL 1ashchuckton, much appreciated!
I entered my VIN and also got 0 hits.
However according to the ElsaPro vehicle history printout I received from a friendly VW Service Manager, my car (2014 GTI) did have a water pump replaced before I got the car (I'm the 2nd owner).

I would've expected that water pump recall to show up. Or was that not considered a safety issue, and hence not a "recall"?

Your thoughts?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Ya, that wouldn't be under recall. Just something covered under warranty.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The water pump was a service campaign & warranty extension to 120,000 miles if I recall correctly. Recalls are for safety items. Call your local dealer with your VIN & they can tell you if you are eligible for a new water pump.

apache

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool, thanks folks.

Is there a URL so folks can check which service campaigns (water pump, etc) apply to their VIN, in order to make sure that their dealer doesn't (unintentionally) give them incorrect info?

Don't mean to be paranoid, it's just that I've got a lot of wrong info from my dealer's service department...

gdub09

Ready to race!
The water pump was a service campaign & warranty extension to 120,000 miles if I recall correctly. Recalls are for safety items. Call your local dealer with your VIN & they can tell you if you are eligible for a new water pump.

It's not warranty unless you're on that list. The list of water pumps that are under recall is very small. I'm not sure how long they extended the warranty to but injectors are covered to 120K. It's a crappy design that VW does not take responsibility for unfortunately. I had to have my cam cradle seal & water pump replaced and I had to use my 3rd party warranty to have it cover. Basically you get a leak in the cradle and oil drips down to the water pump and ruins the gaskets.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
My car was under the water pump campaign. New pump no charge, they told me that it is under warranty until 120K. Worked for me.

gdub09

Ready to race!
My car was under the water pump campaign. New pump no charge, they told me that it is under warranty until 120K. Worked for me.

One of the lucky few then because most aren't