GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension build thoughts...

Korydogg

Ready to race!
I'm ordering the bilstein B12 suspension kit and have everything in my "shopping cart".

-The kit itself
-034 Strut mounts
-spreader tool
-Triple square set
-Hardware: https://www.shopdap.com/mk6-gti-golf-suspension-hardware-install-kit.html

My car has about 60K on it so I'm planning on sticking with the stock strut bearings and don't plan on replacing the rear spring perches.

What are your thoughts?

For those suspension gurus out there.....do you think I should be replacing the bearings and perches? I have been a mechanic for 15 years so doing the install isn't gonna be an issue......however, this is my first VW and I am still learning this platform. Do you suggest I replace the bearings and perches too?

Thanks in advance for input!

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely replace the front bearings. Even if they're not making noise, they'll probably fall apart when you disassemble the struts. Same with the sway bar endlinks. Rear spring perches are just rubber discs - if they're not falling apart, don't worry about them. On the other hand, they're dirt cheap, so there's no reason not to change them while you're in there.

And honestly, I'd skip the 034 strut mounts. All they're really going to do is make the ride a little harsher. Stick with OEM.

ahard48

Ready to race!
Definitely replace the front bearings. Even if they're not making noise, they'll probably fall apart when you disassemble the struts. Same with the sway bar endlinks. Rear spring perches are just rubber discs - if they're not falling apart, don't worry about them. On the other hand, they're dirt cheap, so there's no reason not to change them while you're in there.

And honestly, I'd skip the 034 strut mounts. All they're really going to do is make the ride a little harsher. Stick with OEM.

^^^This is all good information.

- I would agree with replacing the front bearings.
- I replaced my suspension when I had 20K miles so I reused my endlinks.
- Rear perchs should be fine. You'll know right away if they need to be replaced.
- I have heard 034 mounts create suspension noise. I replaced with OEM and its dead quiet. Stick with OEM.
- Yes, get all new hardware.
- Strut spreader tool is KEY!

Korydogg

Ready to race!

^^^This is all good information.

- I would agree with replacing the front bearings.
- I replaced my suspension when I had 20K miles so I reused my endlinks.
- Rear perchs should be fine. You'll know right away if they need to be replaced.
- I have heard 034 mounts create suspension noise. I replaced with OEM and its dead quiet. Stick with OEM.
- Yes, get all new hardware.
- Strut spreader tool is KEY!

Thank you guys for your input. I was on the fence about the 034 mounts and now I know just to go OEM.

To be honest, I didn't even think about replacing the endlinks. So thanks for that insight. I'll be adding them to my shopping cart!

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
You don't disconnect the rear sway bar when you're changing shocks and springs, so there's no need to mess with them if they're not already making noise.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
....well parts are on order! Guess I should make a build thread! Sadly, the bilstien stuff won't arrive for a few weeks.