GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noize-mobiles: A journal of my cars past and present

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Meh. Overkill is completely subjective. The difference in lag is really trivial, and the warranty claim parts at risk with a k04 are already at risk with a stage 1 tune. The full throttle wheel spin stuff was no joke, but you deal with that in any high horsepower 2wd car, it's just less pleasant when it's your front wheels. No, FWD cars don't turn as well all else equal. I don't strongly disagree with anything else Max said.

The idea that you can have a transformed hot rod GTI for the 3k extra the k04 kit and software cost is false. The car needs a lot of supporting hardware if you're going to use k04 power anywhere but on the highway. I think mine was as close as I could come without starting to seriously sacrifice comfort, but I also probably spent more on it than I will on the Evo in total (that will probably end up being false, but that's the plan as of today). A K04 GTI is a bad ass sleeper, and for m/t cars it's probably much better with an LSD, but you guys know what else you can do with 35k+.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
any one that has never been in a K04 car will think its overkill.. it's not enough.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I have been talking about it on here too saying, 300+whp is way too much for FWD. Not to mention there is a tad bit extra lag too for daily driving and a voided warranty. Yet you will get flamed saying you have to be "gentle on the throttle" IMO it defeats the point of having more power to begin with because you can't put it to the ground, or through the turns etc.

Front wheels are steering accelerating and braking. They are asked to do a lot of work.

And the biggest problem, acceleration causes the rear to squat, taking even more traction away from the front wheels availability to do all those things.

any one that has never been in a K04 car will think its overkill.. it's not enough.

K04 power isn't much when considering modern fast cars, 110-112mph trap speed on pump gas. It's not much, I should say, for anything but FWD. Your Accord thread in the vs. all forum is proof in the pudding, because the same thing happened to me (in a lot slower scale) with that Civic Si.

Performance GTI is really an oxymoron. The way to deal with it is to accept it, live within the limitations, and not increase power too much. Here is a huge part where I agree with Max.

Last edited:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Ah, what a month can do for acceptance. :)
I added a Neuspeed RSB, and together with the VCDS stability control disable, it helped the car a lot.

I also just ordered Bilstein B8s and DG springs, which I think will improve handling while reducing roll. Excited!

I'm hoping for tasteful 18x8 wheels (BBS or Enkei), and ZII Star Specs in 235/40/18 this summer to round out the package.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car! Rsb helps a ton. With the new suspension you will really be hooked.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Arrival of Bilstein B8. :)

Fronts:

Rears:

The DG springs already arrived last week. Hopeful to have it all installed sometime soon.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I was torn between the BBS CO and the Enkei Fujin. I definitely can't afford tires yet, and might sell my Detroits to recuperate some of the cost, not sure yet. I asked for the Fujin, but went ahead and changed my order to CO, LOL!!

Anyway, car is shaping up well, here's the current mod list:

APR Stage 1 with Carbonio Stage 1
Bilstein B8
DG Springs
Neuspeed 25mm RSB
BBS CO 18x8 wheels

Hoping to have the wheels and suspension installed in the next few weeks.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Bilsteins and DG springs are on.

Hoping to see the wheels next week.

I like the B8s and springs a lot, and there's no bounciness in the car at all. They are a bit harsh over nasty bumps at speed, but the improved turn-in more than offsets this trade.

I've often described this car as floaty and disconnected. That has not yet been remedied. When I say floaty, I don't mean it tracks poorly, because it's not alignment or tracking, those are great. I mean that it isn't solid. My last car's chassis, suspension bits, and tires worked in such harmony that it felt like it was hewn from a piece of granite. I know I can't equal that with the golf chassis, which wasn't intended for serious motorsports, but I do think that a UB and a FSB will help mitigate some of the front to rear and left to right separation this car exhibits so horribly in turns.

While a limited slip would eventally be nice, to put power down getting the chassis issue sorted out will go a long way to help me finally really like this car.

Evo_s4

Ready to race!
Handling mods done, time for k04 upgrade an unleash the ricer in you buddy with ricer fly by lol

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I do think that a UB and a FSB will help mitigate some of the front to rear and left to right separation this car exhibits so horribly in turns.

Ub was a very perceptible difference for me in overall composure, especially l/r transitions. In the grand scale of things it could get better, but without the xb I don't know how far chassis stiffening will go to solve the disconnect. Heard great things about tyrol's sub frame bushing kit and the WALK kit.

Sent via Tapatalk, butchered by autocorrect

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
Meh. Overkill is completely subjective. The difference in lag is really trivial, and the warranty claim parts at risk with a k04 are already at risk with a stage 1 tune. The full throttle wheel spin stuff was no joke, but you deal with that in any high horsepower 2wd car, it's just less pleasant when it's your front wheels. No, FWD cars don't turn as well all else equal. I don't strongly disagree with anything else Max said.

The idea that you can have a transformed hot rod GTI for the 3k extra the k04 kit and software cost is false. The car needs a lot of supporting hardware if you're going to use k04 power anywhere but on the highway. I think mine was as close as I could come without starting to seriously sacrifice comfort, but I also probably spent more on it than I will on the Evo in total (that will probably end up being false, but that's the plan as of today). A K04 GTI is a bad ass sleeper, and for m/t cars it's probably much better with an LSD, but you guys know what else you can do with 35k+.
this. i think it's more than just driving a ko4 gti for while before one can say it's overkill. i'm not taking anyone's opinion away but c'mon man look at what this mod has done to the car that a thread has been dedicated to such cars. i'm also not saying i'm denying my car's limitations but heck like any other car, there will always be limitations subjectively or on paper. yes i've clearly learned to accept my car from stock form to where it is today, my sig says so. nuff said.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
There are more than a few having trouble with their ko4 now. There's a whole thread about that too as well as a couple guys getting rid of ko4. For a dd it may be not worth the risk.