GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

GTICT

I've been getting back into mountain biking over the past few months. I bought a Salsa El Mariachi in August and I love it! Just debating over roof rack vs hitch rack because I'm tired of sliding the bike in on the caliper and scratching the interior.

Anyways, here's my bike.

XLT_GTI

Ready to race!
That's a good looking bike! as far as racks go, the hitch rack is a lot easier to use and can be completely removed. I opted for a roof rack because I'm one of those people that actually like the look of a roof rack with a fairing on a car and I couldn't stand the thought of a hitch hanging down off the back of my car all the time and ruining the beauty of DAT ASS. Also when looking at it, I had some left over Yakima stuff from other vehicles which allowed me to save some money on the roof rack over the hitch setup.

and in other news less than 2 hours until the live stream of redbull rampage!!!

http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stories/1331615006924/watch-red-bull-rampage-live

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I've been getting back into mountain biking over the past few months. I bought a Salsa El Mariachi in August and I love it! Just debating over roof rack vs hitch rack because I'm tired of sliding the bike in on the caliper and scratching the interior.

Nice man! I would go with a hitch rack... it won't hurt your gas mileage and roof racks are pricey. That said I'm probably about to throw a Thule on my roof since I already have everything from an old car, I just need to buy the fit kit for my GTI.

I started work on getting my mountain bike going again yesterday, I'm pretty excited. Removed the chain, cleaned all of the rust off the gears and derailours (sp?) with kerosene and cleaned the whole bike. I'm going to take the rear wheel somewhere to get some spokes replaced than get the brakes, shifters and derailours all adjusted, tires pumped up and ride a bit while we still have nice weather here.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Trimmed my brake hoses. It was pretty easy.

-Remove grips.
-Unhook lever and mark hose length you want.
-Clamp lever on end of handlebars straight upwards, so the hose is in the air.
-Pull off rubber cover at the hose/lever connection and slide it down to the cable stop.
-Unscrew 8mm compression nut, and move it down the hose to the cable stop.
-Pull the hose straight out of the lever body. Takes some effort.
-Over a paper towel or something, cut the hose to the desired length. I used a razor knife. Make sure its a clean square cut.
-Turn hose straight up so not much fluid leaks out, and clamp it in the yellow holders that come with the brake kit. I clamped it in lock jaw pliers.
-Place new brass olive on the hose end. Olive should be up against the yellow blocks, and about 4mm from edge of hydraulic hose you just cut.
-Install new barb. Fit it by hand, then tap it in with a hammer or something. Should be flush.
-Unhook yellow plastic hose holders. Take end of hose and plunge it into the lever body. Screw in the compression nut. Don't go he-man tight on it, its not needed.
-Reinstall rubber cover, place brake lever where you want it, reinstall grips.

The whole process took maybe 10 minutes per side. Brakes feel great, no need to bleed them. Also, WAY more stopping power than my stupid Avid Juicys. Can lock up either wheel if I want it. Excellent modulation. Totally happy with the purchase.

GHM73

Ready to race!
2006 Cannondale F600 and about 9 mid '80s bmx bikes :)

I need a good rack as well but have not decided on hitch vs roof. Anyone have good pics of their hitch? I want to see if/how it interferes with the rear fascia.

XLT_GTI

Ready to race!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you have a hitch and an aftermarket exhaust, one might need to be modified for the two to work together.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Man I just looked and they don't make the feet I have anymore or a fit kit for my car for them... I think I may see if I can just put it on as is tonight, should be very similar.

XLT_GTI

Ready to race!
Maybe see if they make feet for a mkv?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you have a hitch and an aftermarket exhaust, one might need to be modified for the two to work together.

Not sure, I only have a downpipe. I was never interested in adding noise without power

XLT_GTI

Ready to race!
Not sure, I only have a downpipe. I was never interested in adding noise without power

Fair enough I just know a local member was parting out his car to sell and had a Mangaflow that was modified because he had a hitch.

jollyman78

hitch rack... worked with my '01 GTI really well, and wanted a similar setup when I got my '10 GTI
I have the Draw-tite hitch (no rattling) and a Thule T2 rack.

I ride an '11 Specialized Camber with a 110-150 RS Sektor RL and a few other upgraded bits

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Been doing a lot of mountain biking lately...

...in GTAV. The motion captured body animations are pretty eerily accurate.

Watch the way the head turns with the wheel in corners and how he lets his body drop on jumps, the details in this game are just stunning.