GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

downpipe questions

P

plac

boza
If you have APR, or other switchable ECU software, you can switch back to stock for emissions test compliance, so that part is simple and easy to do.

not true for California.. even the stock program on stage 2 has CEL delete. And all readiness codes need to be working for a California smog. Thus even more of a hassle for us... I'd have to put my stock downpipe back on.. and then go to my APR dealer and have my flash changed back to stage 1 just for the smog test. THEN, do all that again back to stage 2 after you pass the test. Luckily I have never kept a new car for even 36k miles, and I never need any smogs.

FasDarken

Ready to race!
what the hell are you guys all talking about? So you mean to tell me that if I buy a dp with a cat I'll still fail my emissions test? BS! I would like some venders of these dp's with cats to chime in with their two sense here.

P

plac

what the hell are you guys all talking about? So you mean to tell me that if I buy a dp with a cat I'll still fail my emissions test? BS! I would like some venders of these dp's with cats to chime in with their two sense here.

you sound like a noob, bro. do some research, learn some stuff.

P

plac

the ONLY caveat, and how you MIGHT get lucky, is buying an AWE downpipe with HJS metal cat. The best cat you can buy pretty much. And thats why the downpipe costs $799. They "guarantee" it to pass emissions as far as I know, or at least to not create a CEL light. I have had two AWE downpipes myself, and the one without software did NOT trigger a light.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Without some sort of cat the car sinks. Don't like to smell my cars exhaust when I am at the light. Additonally the car is quiter with a cat then without which is what I am looking for.

bozaman

Ready to race!
the ONLY caveat, and how you MIGHT get lucky, is buying an AWE downpipe with HJS metal cat. The best cat you can buy pretty much. And thats why the downpipe costs $799. They "guarantee" it to pass emissions as far as I know, or at least to not create a CEL light. I have had two AWE downpipes myself, and the one without software did NOT trigger a light.

i just noticed on the awe site this little tidbit of information...

please note that due to the use of high flow catalytic converters, our downpipe section is legal only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway.

that may, or may not be a standard disclaimer that hasn't been officially epa/carb or whatever certified but it lends credence to the idea that any aftermarket dp may cause an emissions test failure.

i've also seen arin@apr say that there's also some anecdotal evidence to suggest that even with a high-flow cat that you may still pass due to the cleanness of the 2.0tsi. that doesn't necessarily get you past the visual inspections, etc. but i would like some more information on this anyway.

bozaman

Ready to race!
Without some sort of cat the car sinks. Don't like to smell my cars exhaust when I am at the light. Additonally the car is quiter with a cat then without which is what I am looking for.

so you're saying the ONLY reason for a high-flow cat is to keep the smell away?

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
so you're saying the ONLY reason for a high-flow cat is to keep the smell away?

For me it's the smell and noise level that make the extra cost worth it. The fact that it is still cleaner then catless is a plus but the bottomline is that I do not expect to be able to pass smog with it on but I am not worried as in AZ you don't have to smog the car for the first 5 years.

GPM

Ready to race!
I'll bet you do pass, assuming you keep it for five years. All they do is plug it in and check for codes. And if they do look, they'll see the cat.

FasDarken

Ready to race!
you sound like a noob, bro. do some research, learn some stuff.

and you sound like a fucking dickhead...go back to vortex. I have been doing my research and this is the first i've heard of this.

Last edited: