GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I think oil plays a part but this is a VWoA problem. I do 5k changes on the nose with Motul 300v. Cold climates I stay mid to bottom of the hash marks. Warm climates I'm closer to the top... All of viscosity concerned s

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all, new to the forums here and found my way here after researching the tensioner sound.

Does the metallic rattle only come on during start up? My startup sounds clean but at times i hear a mettalic like rattle when driving at low rpm (1500ish) and speed (25mph ish). i usually hear the cacophony echoing off walls/parked cars on the passenger's side when with that window open.

93.5k mileage on a 2009 Passat 2.0 TSI

The preventative replacement is on my list but I've recently spent a lot of money fixing various things in the car that I would like to wait a few weeks to get it done if I can.

Thanks in advance.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
getting it replaced is still pretty expensive insurance though. you're basically spending around $1k now to maybe avoid spending $5k to replace the engine. and with the latter you'll probably end up with a lower mileage engine.

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
getting it replaced is still pretty expensive insurance though. you're basically spending around $1k now to maybe avoid spending $5k to replace the engine. and with the latter you'll probably end up with a lower mileage engine.

It's true. My mechanic quoted me $500 labor, and the parts online (chains, tensioners and rails) come out to around $270. But I don't have the $5k in case it breaks, so I don't have much choice. :23:

GHM73

Ready to race!
VW is covering 75% of the cost to replace my engine, so very good on them! I'll get a replacement, zero miles engine (either brand new or rebuilt to new spec).

My car is at 84k, so obviously 24k OUT of warranty. The fact that my car has been maintained at the dealership, for every service up to and including the 80k, was what helped me a lot. Very grateful VW is covering as much as they are.

My car is otherwise like new condition so it's like I'm basically getting a new car for $1,500.

My dealership has been awesome throughout. They backed me up and spoke with VW directly.

Princeton Audi/VW, Princeton NJ. I can very, very highly recommend them!

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
VW is covering 75% of the cost to replace my engine, so very good on them! I'll get a replacement, zero miles engine (either brand new or rebuilt to new spec).

My car is at 84k, so obviously 24k OUT of warranty. The fact that my car has been maintained at the dealership, for every service up to and including the 80k, was what helped me a lot. Very grateful VW is covering as much as they are.

My car is otherwise like new condition so it's like I'm basically getting a new car for $1,500.

My dealership has been awesome throughout. They backed me up and spoke with VW directly.

Princeton Audi/VW, Princeton NJ. I can very, very highly recommend them!

Well I guess the other side of that coin is you paid for that engine already by servicing at the dealership and over paying at least double for 84k miles.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
for those of you who get the tensioner replaced as maintenance, did you only replace the tensioner or did you get everything else replaced as well; e.g. the timing chain, guides, etc.

would it be a waste of money to replace the other parts while you already have the engine open?

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
I haven't had one chain stretch or guide issue on this engine. Just do the tensioner, upper cover gasket, and lower cover with new bolt.

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't had one chain stretch or guide issue on this engine. Just do the tensioner, upper cover gasket, and lower cover with new bolt.

why cover? if it is done properly there is no reason to replace cover unless they ruined it.

for those of you who get the tensioner replaced as maintenance, did you only replace the tensioner or did you get everything else replaced as well; e.g. the timing chain, guides, etc.

would it be a waste of money to replace the other parts while you already have the engine open?

I did both chains, both tensioners and the rails. Rails are all about $70 together. chains and tensioners are $50 each.

I found the price of parts negligible compared to the amount of work required for this work (over 10 hours). I've also ready that chains do in fact snap when not replaced when replacing the tensioner (especially on a 6 year old engine). Again, theres no reason to risk it. I asked my mechanic (who I absolutely trust) if I should pick up the rails as well and he said yes (I was ordering online so its not like he made any extra $ on it).

I've heard mixed things about the seals. I didn't know which would be necessary to change but my mechanic will take a look when he's in there.

Last edited:

djrockytharp

Hi all. I have a 2011 GTI with 87K on the clock and have rattle at start up sporadically. Then once started it doesn't rattle anymore. My tech says he can change just the tensioner but recommends changing the chains and guides as well. Price is a factor for me and the fact that I won't be keeping the car for more than 6 months. Should I do just the tensioner or spring the for the whole thing?

GHM73

Ready to race!
Well I guess the other side of that coin is you paid for that engine already by servicing at the dealership and over paying at least double for 84k miles.

No, no I didn't.

All of my service up to 60k was FREE (extended warranty/service plan). So I did not "over-pay" at the dealership for anything, because it has been 110% worth every penny. They are replacing my engine for what it would have cost to replace the tensioner and associated bits before it failed.

When your engine dies and you go to VW and did all of the service/maintenance yourself, good luck getting them to cover the cost.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
i got a quote from a local shop and the cost for doing the chains and guides is more than double that of just getting the tensioner itself replaced.... does that sound right?

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all. I have a 2011 GTI with 87K on the clock and have rattle at start up sporadically. Then once started it doesn't rattle anymore. My tech says he can change just the tensioner but recommends changing the chains and guides as well. Price is a factor for me and the fact that I won't be keeping the car for more than 6 months. Should I do just the tensioner or spring the for the whole thing?

Yes change it all, price difference should only be in parts, about $200 (figure $170 in parts and $30 labor). At the very least you must absolutely change the (upper) chain along with that (upper) tensioner.

Having said that, you might as well sell the car now instead of waiting 6 months but mention it needs that work done. If it's a lease then screw it, if it fails it's vw's problem. And they deserve it for such a terrible design and wrong maintenance information (these are supposed to be lifetime parts, and 10k interval oil changes cause sludge which contributes to the failure).

No, no I didn't.

All of my service up to 60k was FREE (extended warranty/service plan). So I did not "over-pay" at the dealership for anything, because it has been 110% worth every penny. They are replacing my engine for what it would have cost to replace the tensioner and associated bits before it failed.

When your engine dies and you go to VW and did all of the service/maintenance yourself, good luck getting them to cover the cost.

Did you pay for that extended warranty? If so then there you go. If not then lucky you.

Having any work done at the dealership is a terrible rip off. Let alone paying then to replace an engine (they literally quote you double). Obviously someone who takes care of their car would replace the tensioner/chains/rails for $800ish instead of waiting for it to fail and cost $4k (these are Indy shop prices, double them for the dealer).

Anyone who services their car independently would never take it to the dealer to replace an engine. Aficionados do preventative maintenance so catastrophic engine failure isn't an issue to begin with (ironically partially caused by sludge due to the 10k VW recommended oil change intervals). Chains/tensioner/rails replacement are done as preventative, and oil changes every 7-8k. So you're never the position of losing the engine. FSI engines had an additional catastrophic failure associated with the cam follower.

i got a quote from a local shop and the cost for doing the chains and guides is more than double that of just getting the tensioner itself replaced.... does that sound right?

No it does not. Offer to provide your own parts and order them all from europaparts.com

The work required to replace one tensioner vs both tensioners, both chains and the 6 rails is about 30 minutes difference. Furthermore you risk the old chain slipping after being put on a more rigid, new tensioner.

Unfortunately VWs aren't buy it and ignore it vehicles. Learn the issues and do the maintenance. Of course you can buy extended warranties but even those run out and when stuff fails you're doubly screwed at the dealership. And for every GHM73, there are a dozen poor chaps who got denied the repair. Even he had to pay more than the price of just updating these parts at an Indy shop.
With proper care you can easily keep these running for 250k+ miles.

Last edited:

djrockytharp

My quote for the tensioner is 900 mostly labor. and another 800 parts and labor for the chains and guides. What are you basing your quote off of? Are you a vw tech or similar mechanic?

zrickety

The Fixer
I would say the chains and guides are a little more than 30 minutes extra. The timing procedure is insane and the only way around it is to leave the chains in place or markings on the old chain with a paint pen, which you wouldn't be reusing. Personally, I only bought the tensioner, bolts and a cover to be safe. I don't expect any chain stretch as I do more frequent service. If you've been letting the dealer do everything with their bulk oil at 10k+, you might need the extra parts.