GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blue smoke, backfiring, rough idle

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Oh hi everyone, taking bets here on what happened!

Blue smoke, probably burning/leaking oil pretty badly and randomly.

Almost got to work today and noticed my car idling really bad and stalled at a light. then noticed when i started it back up I smelled burning chemicals, noticed white/blue smoke everywhere. limped that last mile to work like a dumbass cause its 0 degrees out... SHIT! LOL. Oil level seems fine, coolant level seems fine, no codes, temp seems fine, i wasn't beating the car for the last few days; i drove it like a baby (maybe thats the problem??)

sooo fun!

a while back i DID find some milk at the bottom of my dipstick, which many chalk up to be some magic VW mystery due to cold weather, and i have been losing some oil lately, around 1/2 qt to a quart per ~2000 miles maybe?

Mods in link below, basically K04+Bolt ons, 50000 miles.
New tensioner 5000 ago
no signs of any issues prior to this morning, car is a champ that I drive responsibly.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^ yep!

Buddy gave me a reality check that my catch can was probably full and frozen causing a blockage of crankcase pressure! NOT GOOD!

Drained it, it was chock full up to the lines. Reinstalled it, will run the car for a while and see how it goes... hopefully didn't blow out my rear main.

Uberryan

Banned
Get rid of the CC, and just change out the PCV and do a valve cleaning (you'll still have to do it) every 50k miles.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
^ yep!

Buddy gave me a reality check that my catch can was probably full and frozen causing a blockage of crankcase pressure! NOT GOOD!

Drained it, it was chock full up to the lines. Reinstalled it, will run the car for a while and see how it goes... hopefully didn't blow out my rear main.

+1 here if you have a Catch Can. I have heard this happening to folks.

Another CON to having a Catch Can. I would definitely pass on one.

Jeff

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I wouldn’t run a CC either unless it was a track car only! I would fit the newest revision PCV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
thanks guys... yep lesson learned here. grr!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
#thikk :)

yep gonna keep mine the way it is and empty it every other day while its freezing out. for now at least.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
^ yep!

You still have the 034 CC right? I've been running mine so far without issues, but I drain it weekly. As long as you stay on top of it you'll be fine.